Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Fish Finder

Question everyone! Need suggestions and info on:
    1. Installing the transducer inside the hull...something about "duct putty"??
    2. What to use as "covers" for the holes I drill for the lines.
    3. The battery case and best way to secure it.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by OV BOY; 05-08-2015, 07:18 AM.
    Walt
    Heritage Angler 12'

Walt I used Duct Seal (you find it at Home Depot in the electrical dept) to hold my transducer in my Slayer 10 and also plug holes I drilled. duct seal.jpg

Find the place that you want to place the transducer and then spread a layer of duct seal about 3/4" thick. Place the transducer into center of mass and press down. Be sure transducer is level front to back and side to side. Then make a spagetti string of deal and lay over top of transducer and press down. FF-3.jpg

I used a plastic storage box, with snap handles on all four sides to hold the battery. I drilled a hole into one end of the box larger enough to pass the wires through. Then sealed the hole with duct seal. To keep the box in place from moving around, I took a piece of 2/4 and held that in place with duct seal. I then screwed the box into the 2x4. FF-1.jpgFF-4.jpg

I did not drill any holes into my yak to run the wires outside to the FF. Just ran them out of the hatch cover.

So far this system has worked. Get good readings from FF, except for temp. That reading is of the temp inside the forward hatch, but depth and position work find. Have been out in some rough water for a 10fter and no water leaks into hatch.

Good luck, you can figure it out.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Walt,
      I sent some old pictures, have upgraded so I wanted to send these to you.
      fig-2.jpgfig-3.jpgfig-4.jpg

Again, if you have any questions, drop me a PM.

John
      Attached Files
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

J. Rentch thanks for responding! For the life of me I couldn't recall what the heck the putty was called! So, its duct seal, and I have heard it does great holding items in place. The pic's are great and very helpful, they give me a good idea how to install everything!
        Unfortunately for me, I cannot run the FF cables through my hatch because the way it locks down on my yak, so I will have to find a way to plug the holes, maybe with duct putty??? I will check out a few places for the battery case and try what you suggested to secure it. I appreciate your help!!
        Walt
        Heritage Angler 12'

Comment

Walt,

Hobie makes a "through-the-hull" wiring kit. It includes rubber nodes with grommets that make a watertight seal for your wires if you must drill the through hull like I did.

See here:

B.jpg B1.jpg
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Duct seal will not be effective trying to seal a hole. It doesn't harden, so it will easily move and expose the hole, especially if placed around the ff wire.
            Mike

Comment

True for external holes, but I used it inside of my forward hole as a precaution. Mark's idea is better for any external hole drilled.
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I think West Marine carries through hull wire kits also, although the Hobie ones are what I used.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

The Hobie kit is exactly what I'm looking for! Hopefully I can find this or something like it around the Pax River area..... I appreciate the information!
                  Walt
                  Heritage Angler 12'

Comment

Try Blue Haven Piers - they are the Hobie dealer down here.
                    Mike
                    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by OV BOY View Post
                      The Hobie kit is exactly what I'm looking for! Hopefully I can find this or something like it around the Pax River area..... I appreciate the information!
                      ack.com sells it
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X