What size bilge pump do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size bilge pump do I need?

So I am coming up on a year with my kayak. I have really been enjoying myself and the fishing opportunities have really increased with my kayak. I mostly fish the lower Susquehanna but I get on the bay as well. I have all of the safety equipment: A good PFD, whistle, flag, light, anchor, paddle leash.....low and behold I have no bilge pump. I realize this is not a good idea and am ready to buy one. I got on Amazon and the sizes are overwhelming. I have a WS Tarpon 120. What length pump do I need? Thanks.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

I think you are fine without a bilge pump since you have a sit on top kayak.

Comment

This one is 21" long and pumps 8 gallons per minute. If you are taking on more than 8 gallons per minute on your kayak abandon ship!

http://www.nrs.com/product/50033.02/...yak-bilge-pump

It is not a bad idea to have one on the bay if you fish in cold/cooler water.
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

A cup, gatorade bottle or even a beer can works in a pinch. I usually have at least one on hand at all times
        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          I think you are fine without a bilge pump since you have a sit on top kayak.
          +1

I have no use for a bilge pump. Only have one access hatch and it up on the bow. So I would have beach it to attend to that.

If I'm taking on that much water, I'm done fishing for that day.

Sent from my PalmPilot
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

i dont think you need to purchase a bilge pump... you have scupper holes that will drain water if needed. i just carry a sponge to soak up any excess water that makes it on the boat
            Michael
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
            Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

I used a cut up water bottle as a scoop when I needed to bail a bit of water...the scupper holes would have done the job, but it seemed like they were operating pretty slow. The back of my yak tends to take on a decent amount of water because I have a larger marine battery and then a smaller backup that adds a fair bit of weight. The only time water really starts to fill the section where I am is when the waves get real choppy from wind. Water should never make it in the hull inside your enclosed compartments, if it did...like Turtle said above, abandon ship!

Comment

After reading these replies I have decided against a bilge pump. Thanks for the input.
                Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
                Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

A sponge will do the trick.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                    A sponge will do the trick.
                    Maybe. However, if you search the archives, you will find it didn't work for me when I was turtled by a boat wake with the rod pod open. I had to swim to shore and wait for the wind and waves to bring the yak in as it was filled with water. Once on land it took a couple of hours to empty it out with a sponge. I now carry a hand pump that I bought at Dick's and I don't open the rod pod when any boats are around.

John
                    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Yes, the pump would be for a cracked scupper, bad hatch seal with waves crashing over the top of your kayak or any other compromise to the hull of the kayak. Any situation where you are taking water "inside the hull" of your SOT kayak. Not so traumatic in warm water conditions but potentially fatal in cold water.
                      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Glad I had one at Lewes last week, My new kayak was leaking at a scupper hole. had over 30 gallons of water in it. Get a manual one. they weigh next to nothing and mine is velcroed inside the hull so I can reach it from the center hatch. any kayak shop will have them and Wally world has them too. I have something similar to this one http://www.backcountry.com/nrs-bilge...8A4Q&gclsrc=ds

Comment

Working...
                        X