FF Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF Questions

I have been reading threads here and have come tho the conclusion that the Lowrance Elite 4X Chirp is the one I want to buy fir my FS12T. I will primarily use it on the Chesapeake Bay. Some of my research leads me to a few questions:

The guy behind the counter at Bass Pro said none of them are waterproof/resistant. I have since read on the product description that it's waterproof. What's the real deal? Will one roll turn it into a paperweight?

There was a review on Amazon at says something about needing another transducer. Would you just need the one that comes with it to get full functionality?

What else will I need other than a battery and mount?

Thanks,
    Mike

I would suggest scraping together another $100 and get the Elite-4 CHIRP, the GPS is a very useful tool to have on the Bay.

As far as the waterproof question, I've heard the vulnerable part of it is the card slot, or more so the rubber cover that goes over it. I've read where people fill that slot with dielectric grease to seal it up. I haven't done anything extra to protect mine on the Elite-4 or Elite-5.

The included transducer will do everything the unit will support, no need to buy a second one.

It all depends on how you intend to install the transducer, as far as what other things you will need to buy to make it work. There are in-hull shoot-through hull options and there are transducer deployment arm (TDA) ways to do it. Through hull will limit the unit to not reading correct water temperature. TDA will put the transducer in the water so it reads most accurately, including temperature, but it adds drag and additional things to get line tangled on or hit during a paddle stroke, depending on where you mount it.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks Cowpokey. I thought the elite 4x had GPS but it doesn't. I do want GPS so I'll wait for a sale on the elite 4 or maybe consider another brand. Was hoping to spend around $200.

Comment

If you don't mind not having CHIRP check around for an older Lowrance model like the Elite 4 HDI. There may still be some on left overs on clearance that you can get a good deal on.
        Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Ok. I will check. I don't need color. Can you explain chirp? i probably don't need that either.

Comment

I've heard CHIRP gives a better quality feedback but in the depths we fish in kayaks I dont really see how it would benefit us. I noticed the price for CHIRP has dropped a good bit in the last 3-4 months, almost on par with the HDIs when you could easily find them. If you could find an HDI I'm sure you could get it for a good price.
            Mike

Comment

I like the color screen, it's purdy.

Lowrance is the best unit for the money in my opinion. I have an Elite-4 HDI and Elite-5 HDI, they are good units. The Lowrance have the best built in base map of the units I've looked at, and better screen resolution than the Garmin or Humminbird. Raymarine Dragonfly are sexy, but overly expensive in comparison...my 2 pennies.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

West Marine ran a sale on the elite 4 chirp last week with a 50 or 100 rebate. I have no idea on details because i got it for my birthday without even asking, but might want to check it out.

Comment

Cool. I'll check it out.

Comment

Some of us run a big fat rubber band around the unit that keeps the little rubber flap (where the sd chip goes in) tightly closed.

Comment

Working...
                    X