Cheap Hawkeye Fish Finder Addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Hawkeye Fish Finder Addition

I've tried a few methods of using this cheap depth/fish finder. I took the float ring off, made an arm from PVC and attached a hockey puck so it would sit in my cup holder. That never worked unless I wasn't moving. Kind o defeated the purpose. Finally picked up the Hobie thru hull kit and gooped the transducer in. I hope to test it out tomorrow, maybe at Bushwood. I will eventually up my gear, but for now I will at least know the depth...I'm not too optimistic about its fish finding...but I know the depth part works.IMG_20150529_181018647.jpg
    IMG_20150529_180947634_HDR.jpg

Still dirty from my snakehead hunt last weekend
    Attached Files
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Originally posted by clm View Post
    I've tried a few methods of using this cheap depth/fish finder. I took the float ring off, made an arm from PVC and attached a hockey puck so it would sit in my cup holder. That never worked unless I wasn't moving. Kind o defeated the purpose. Finally picked up the Hobie thru hull kit and gooped the transducer in. I hope to test it out tomorrow, maybe at Bushwood. I will eventually up my gear, but for now I will at least know the depth...I'm not too optimistic about its fish finding...but I know the depth part works.[ATTACH=CONFIG]15927[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]15929[/ATTACH]

Still dirty from my snakehead hunt last weekend

Drove down to bushwood this morning. Never been there. Incoming tide and a little wind starting. Saw three grown men launch in canoe with a trolling motor. Wasn't to thrilled with the way they were bobbing, so I decided to not launch. The chop over the front of the outback gets annoying to me. Stopped at chapel point. I have no hopes of actually catching anything. Very dirty. Wanted to test the FF. Where did I put it? Hate that feeling. I found it stowed in a zip lock. I was too organized for once. The depth works well. I guess the FF part does too. I'm not seeing any fish and I'm not catching any
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

I always like seeing fish on the FF and I love when the rod bends 10 seconds later as I pass over the mark, but I've caught just as many fish without seeing anything come across the FF. They can be pretty mobile so if you are trolling, the 10 seconds it takes to get your lure over the same spot is plenty of time for fish to have moved in or out.

You can test how sensitive the FF is by jigging. With my Elite 5 HDI I could see 3 distinct marks in 70' of water while fishing for yellow perch earlier this year. One for the weight and one for each of the 2" grubs. For some reason though I never marked the fish I was catching.
      Mike

Comment

When I first started kayak fishing... I happened to find one of these at the thrift store for $10 in a sealed package... I had heard about them in some tech' radio show years before..

It showed the depths... it was interesting..
        Eventually I got a Lowrance Mark 4 with GPS... not exotic by most standards these days.. but Im still happy with it...

For the longest time I would never catch fish I saw in the FF... I was sure it was just some guy in scuba pushing sticks under my boat.
        Then.. all of a sudden I did catch fish I saw.... although sometimes.. I think that scuba guy is still out there.

Comment

No thrift store finds like that around here yet. I think the depth will be the handiest. I'd like to find the holes for catfish when I'm peddling around in the Potomac or some of the local lakes. I've had it for a minute, but never mounted it so I could get the most use from it.
          Hobie Outback
          Stand Up Paddle Board
          Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
          X