Decisions decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions decisions

Hey everyone, I'm stuck on deciding if I want to put an anchor trolley kit on. I have the hobie kit but I'm not sure if thats the best one to go with thats why I'm hesitant to put it on. I have the yak gear on on my predator 13 and it seems to work well. Then again I'm not even sure if guys are putting these on at all anymore and are just going with the power pole or another option. What are all of your thoughts on the best route to go or the best trolley to go with. Thanks everyone!
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2015 Old Town Predator 13

I never liked the hobie ones since the directions state to drill the pulleys directly to the boat. So instead I bought a cheaper one that has padeyes http://www.basspro.com/Kayak-Anchor-...1082605010036/ also because I had a Bass Pro gift card. I added some bungee between the carabiner and the pulley.

I assume you can do the same with the hobie kit, just get some padeyes and carabiners. This method will also let me easily remove the anchor trolley if needed.

Comment

Best option...

It depends on how and where you fish. Many kayak anglers do not use anchors or stick poles. Is an anchor required for your main fishing style? I usually move along under power casting to a shoreline or structure or I troll in open water. In my Hobie I can hold position if I need to or return to it fairly easy with the pedals even in the wind. That's more difficult in my paddle kayak so I'll look for protected water or leave the water if the wind is blowing too hard. No anchor is therefore an option for many. The pedals on your Outback may allow you to forego an anchor altogether.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I haven't seen the Hobie kit... but I certainly agree with the pad eyes kuljc mentioned... that's what I use.

What I also do... is on one end (the rear in my case) attach the pulley to the pad eye with a loop of shock cord.
        Keeps the rope tension snug. If you have a pedal kayak you probably have less use for an anchor...

Comment

Working...
        X