Cheap rigging bullet - gt90 installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap rigging bullet - gt90 installation

I love yakattack and their products, but the rigging bullet seems to be a little pricey for what it is. I remember reading somewhere about using screws instead, but I've never seen a guide for it. So I thought I'd put one together. If I had to buy everything, it'd probably be under $5.

What is you need are:
    1) Socket Head Screws for the type of backing you're using. The GT90 uses #8-32.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...5118/203575641
    2) Crabbing line or some type of line that you can unravel and have thin strands
    3) Tape, I used scotch tape (not the best, but it was the first I found). I would prefer something like electrical tape since it molds to the screw threads, or a drop of super glue would probably work too.

Steps:
    1) unravel the crabbing line so the strands are as thin as possible.
    OI000038.jpg
    2) Tape and wind the strands around the screw. Leave the bottom free to screw into the backing, and make sure the socket head is the taped side.
    OI000042.jpgOI000037.jpg
    That's it! Below shows how it works. There are probably better youtube videos on how these work.

3) Push the screws through the holes you've drilled, and tilt the yak so the screws roll down to a hatch opening. Make sure the line attached to the screws are following the same path, or the backing will get stuck on a scupper, rudder line, or whatever else is in your hatch. Screw them into the backing.
    OI000047.jpgOI000048.jpg
    4) Pull the rope back through the holes you drilled, and the backing will be pushed against the kayak.
    OI000049.jpg
    5) put the ropes through the geartrac, and screw it down.
    OI000056.jpgOI000061.jpg
    6) unscrew the rigging screws, and put the real ones in.
    OI000068.jpg
    7) DONE!
    OI000074.jpg

Thanks for the instruction. I am sure it will help others as the brain storm thru the rigging process.

Comment

Very nice bro! Great instructions
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

GREAT JOB !!!!!!! ............. Been looking for those hollow screws for a long time but didn't know what to call the or where to find them ........... Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
          GREAT JOB !!!!!!! ............. Been looking for those hollow screws for a long time but didn't know what to call the or where to find them ........... Thanks

I hope I didn't mislead you, these screws aren't hollow. so they're not as nice as the rigging bullet. but with thin thread and tape, the screws and backing can be pulled through the holes easily.

Comment

Clever.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Well done and very clear. Thanks for the informative post.

Comment

........ Yeah ......l checked them out yesterday ....... STILL A GREAT JOB !!!!

The only thing I found were some old bow sight pins with fiber optic enters for hollow threaded tubing
                Last edited by Memory Maker; 06-01-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X