kayak supply question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kayak supply question

I'm sure ill come up with more questions since I'm a new kayak owner but heres the first. if I'm fishing the bay, do i have any reason to carry a gaf??? i mean if i have fish grips or some type of pliers like that should that be enough?? not sure of anything out here so i must ask a million questions even if some may seem simple. thanks for all advice as usual
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

No, you shouldn't need a gaff out on the Bay. We don't gaff fish on the charter boat, we net them.
    It is illegal to gaff a Striper, and unnecessary.
    Netting a big Striper may be a little problematic in a kayak.
    The only fish with really dangerous teeth in the Bay are Bluefish (maybe sharks is you are fishing in the extreme Southern Bay), and you wouldn't want to gaff them since they bleed like stuck pig.
    Fish Grips will suffice, or something like a Boca Grip works well.

Comment

thanks for the info bignose. i am way south near lookout point but I'm for sure not targeting sharks. if i hook one in my yak i will be quickly cutting the line to ensure its release
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

No one that I know uses a gaff ....... It's mostly Stripers and sometimes blues for large fish ......... Maybe rays

Comment

I don't even think you need a net for stripers. If you must, a rubber net is the best to keep the protective slime on the fish and the hooks don't tangle in them as easily either.
          But good heavens if you ever gaffed a striper I dont think you'd ever live it down :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

We had a client on the boat insist that I land a large Ray that he had hooked.
            I explained to him that the only way we could land one was to gaff it, and I wasn't going to gaff and kill a creature that we weren't going to eat.
            Usually we use a knife on a long handle and cut the line off as we get the Ray along side.
            Didn't want to think about having to lift it over the side of the boat and then have it bleed all over the deck. Not to mention that they have stingers, and it would be on the deck with 5 guys fishing.
            He became a little irate (we allow drinking on the boat, he was a rather well lubricated), so as I got the leader up near the boat, I deliberately rubbed it vigorously against the side, lifted sharply and snapped it off.
            "Oopps, the line broke!"

I don't have any idea of what you would do in a kayak except try to break it off ASAP. Or enjoy the sleigh ride!

Comment

kayak supply question

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              I don't even think you need a net for stripers. If you must, a rubber net is the best to keep the protective slime on the fish and the hooks don't tangle in them as easily either.
              But good heavens if you ever gaffed a striper I dont think you'd ever live it down :-)
              I've also found that hooks are a little more manageable with rubber nets. They don't seem to get caught as easily.. I always have my gaf with me, but I think that's just a carry over from my Fl gulf experience.
              And you always just sit back and enjoy the ride!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              '15 Yellow Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
              X