Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

69lbs.

Comment

Dogfish what model trolling motor did you go with? I'm still spec'ing some options... Its nice to have the BG and not have to worry about maxing capacity!

Comment

On the side mount I was using a 30lb Endura by MinnKota. The BassYak is a 55lb thrust Endura. Quite frankly I only got a little extra speed from the 55. The reason being the prop. The 55 does keep the kayak moving along more steady.

Comment

My Trident's rated weight capacity is 450 pounds. So, I don't really have to worry about weight even if I use two batteries. Is your Prowler 13 or 15', mytymouse? I think the 15 footer capacity is about 475. Even if you're 250#, I think you're still well under the capacity with the group 31. With two group 24 batts, I'm guessing you're under by about 50#.

The AGMs are vibration-resistant, more efficient, etc. I'm not seeing a great advantage over a lead-acid (LA). Cabelas AGM and my Kirtland LA have about the same weight and capacity. The LA shouldn't be discharged to lower than about 30%. Can you really discharge the AGM lower?
          Last edited by tufnik; 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

tufnik,

I don't know enough about batteries to really run down the pros in favor of one versus the other in great detail. But I do recall finding numerous articles online that talk in detail as to why AGMs are better than regular flooded batteries.

Now in my realm of ACTUAL use, I have NOT seen a difference. They are both heavy, and they both provide power well enough for hours of use. I remember some articles talking about the efficiency of recharging and stuff like that, but that stuff is kinda moot to me. When I'm done, I put my battery on the charger and it stays there til the next trip.

I also recall reading that AGMs CAN be regularly discharged deeper than their standard counterparts with no ill effects.

If I were to flip my yak somehow, if I'm using the AGM, I dont have to worry about acid leaking.

Mytmouse has the Big Game, which has a capacity of 600lbs
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Mytmouse has the Big Game, which has a capacity of 600lbs
              And I need every lb of it!!! lol!

Comment

The AGM batteries will take more discharge and charge cycles and hold a larger charge over a longer period of time. The typical lead acid battery will start to loose charging capacity quicker. They weigh just about the same. I used lead acid batteries in my early electric kayak rigs. One must remember it is not good to take any battery too deep into its cycle. That is why I went to two batteries. You should also keep a maintainer type charger on your batteries to keep them alive. With the cost of batteries it is well worth the money for a decent charger and/or maintainer. Over the winter I keep trickle chargers on the batteries. I am more impressed at the life cycle of the small battery that I use for my FF. That thing is over 4 years old and still going strong.

Don't worry MYT, I need all of that 600lb capacity myself.

Comment

I might one day motorize my yak, but I don't like the weight and having to carry so much stuff issues- if I go that route, I would probably will go back to a conventional center console bay boat of the 17-18 foot variety that gives me the speed and sea worthiness to run miles at a time so that I could chase the fish. With the high fuel efficiency of the four cycle newer outboards the fuel usage is a lot lower today than a few years ago and no mixing of the oil- that is the ultimate dark side of power-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                  X