Car Topping Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Topping Hobie Outback

I am one month away from getting a Hobie Outback. I have a PA-14 now that I trailer. I am getting the Outback for those areas that don't allow trailers.

I am looking for advice on how to car-top it. I have a Subaru XV Crosstrek. I plan on using factory cross bars if I can get the right attachments that work.

??Attachments (Rollers)- Hullavator-Dedicated Kayak Racs-etc..??

Advice and any pics?

Thanks,

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14

What is the weight of the Outback? A hullavator is a great way to go if you don't exceed the 75 lbs weight limit. I was hoping to use one to haul my 80 lbs Thresher, but it wasn't up to the task...

I ended up going with a Thule Role Model
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I sort of clean and jerk the outback up to the car roof flipping it upside in the process and tossing it on the roof rack. Probably not the best thing for my back but the 2015 with the new harder hand holds definitely help. I believe the outback is 88lbs rigged if i recall. The hullavator works great on the outback but you need aftermarket rails. The J bars are really difficult to use because of the outback's hull and it's really difficult to get the outback over the hook on the J. The hully rollers will be my second choice if my back ever says on more on the overhead lift approach.

Comment

I had an outdoor job which involved loading kayaks and canoes on top of customer vehicles. This was back in college, but I don't think things have changed much. We loaded hundreds of vehicles with an assortment of toys and didn't have (m)any issues with using foam blocks and a couple tie downs. They're versatile, durable, cheap, easy to remove, and never failed on the road. One strap on the front, one around the middle, and one on the back. They work on virtually every vehicle, don't require installing a rack, and store in a little bag. They work on every kind of boat that has a bottom. I once took two touring kayaks on a 600mi trip using this setup.

If I didn't hate unloading the PA, and if it weren't so damn heavy, that's what I'd still be using.

If you can't get the yak on top of the vehicle, that's a totally different issue that will probably require new technique and/or additional hardware.

But seriously, if you just want to transport a yak on the top of your car, tie downs and blocks are the best method I've used.
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I have Yakima crossbars that I ziptie foam noodle on ea bar. I also use the load-assist, which slides out of the front crossbar. i transpo my Outback w/a heavy-duty cart( from sailboatstogo) to the side of my car, hoist the front end( usually the rudder-end is in front onto the load-assist bar while the other end is pivoting on a seat cushion on the ground. Then I lift up the other end off the seat cushion, then flip it upside down onto the crossbars. Many others lift their kayak onto a roller at the rear of the roofrack & roll their yak onto the crossbars. Thule's roller is smaller& fits the keel of your Outback while Yakima's is much wider but v helpful when loading onto an SUV. I have one of these I might let go.

Comment

I dont have an outback YET, but use the thule 898 pro hullavator to lift my Cuda 14 onto the top of my Tacoma, The Cuda is in the 75-80 lb range. The lift assist works OK but you still need a controlled squat and lift to get the Hullavator up and into the locking position.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the saddles and rollers in general, but especially not on the Outback due to the way the hull is shaped. For me I find the best setup on my Xterra to be yakima round crossbars with pool noodles zip tied on. I put the Outback on with the clean and jerk previously described and I do it gunnels down. It's a pain removing everything from the kayak, but I'm pretty used to it at this point.

For your Crosstrek, I'd say getting the bar that slides out would be the easiest. Throw a blanket or cushion down, put the nose of the kayak on it, then lift and flip on to the roof.

Congrats on the Outback and welcome to the fleet!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I have a CRV and use the factory crossbars with Hobie noodle pads wrapped around. To top the Outback, I remove gear, flip it over, put a banket or something down and tip it vertical with the nose in the ground, then I get under the middle where the handles are and kick up the front to raise it over my head. I store it in that position shoulder high in my garage which makes it easy loading it onto the car at home.
                Michael
                Washington, DC
                Hobie Outback

Comment

Congrats on the outback, I just picked up mine and haven't been happier with the purchase.

I have a Hyundai Sonata that I car top my Hobie Outback on - side loading is the only viable option for my car. I bought one size longer bars for my Yakima round bar roof rack and used the extra length on the driver's side - keeping the yak away from the body / windows of the car when loading and unloading. This way, I have been able to tip the outback on it's side, grip using the integrated handles / seat bar and lift using a squat and jerk like move placing the yak on the bar tips (gunnels down) and sliding it into position. The first few times were difficult as I was learning the best approach to load and not kill myself or destroy the yak / car. Great quality WIDE width ratchet straps are a must IMO, my tie downs are under a minute now and more secure than ever. Solid investment there.

Unloading is the reverse of loading, I slide the yak to the longer end tips, then slide off. As the yak is sliding off, I help ease it on the ground while rotating the body. Having longer ends on the driver's side is something to remember getting into and out of the car, but it beats bashing my body work or a bad back by extending myself over to get the yak on the car.
                  Last edited by Dimo; 10-12-2015, 10:01 AM.
                  -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

I have a Crosstrek with factory bars and a Rola cargo basket i almost always keep on. I just put noodles down and strap the kayak on top of the basket. I also have a jrack that got from amazon that fits the factory bars. I could not find a place to tie the front line to on my crosstrek. I use the front tow hook that is with the spare tire kit.
                    2016 Ascend FS12T
                    Pelican Apex 100

Comment

uploadfromtaptalk1445619325907.jpg
                      I load mine with rhino rack side loader on my car.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Gary,

I've been using the Yakima sweet roll and then added a Seattle sports sherpak roller that suctions on the rear glass. Its worked pretty well although the kayak sometimes slides off the sherpak. Otherwise I've been pretty happy with both.

Comment

I have an 2015 outback and I'm a 58 F who does it by my self. This is what I came up with to lift this heavy guy.
                          I got the suction bar with the rollers and I attach that to the from of my car hood on my Kia car (Cost 20.00). Than I had purchases a wheel cart that was too small for my kayak I didn't know at the time but I flip that upside down and tie to the top of my car too, (cost $30.00).
                          I have a removable roof rack on my car. Cost $400.00.
                          Then all I have to do is lift it to the first roller.
                          sending picture

20160210_233122053_iOS.jpg

Comment

Murphybrown0,

I'm a 62 Y.O. male and I know from experience in helping my buddy to lift his Outback that I could never do it alone.

You were wise to get mechanical assistance.

Welcome to the forum.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

MurphybrownO, I am also an older woman. Welcome to the forum and I hope to see you on the water soon.
                              2015 Outback
                              2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X