5 must haves for a new Kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 must haves for a new Kayak?

Just getting into the sport, my wife is looking to outfit a basic kayak for me to fish tidal potomac, James, and local ponds. Can you guys suggest 5 things that would I would definitely need on the rig? Its a Hobie quest 13, basic model with nothing added.

PFD#1 of course, rod holders, fish finder, fish grips, needle nose pliers, paddle leash, crate for tackle and rods.
    Lash everything down of course.

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Here is the list of items I suggest in my "Introduction to Kayak Fishing" Workshop. There are lots of definitely needed and nice to have options. Other folks have different lists.

1. Minimum/critical types of gear for fishing from a kayak
      - seat (most kayaks come with a seat – some models do not)
      - PFD (get one that is comfortable and actually wear it)
      - paddle (consider shaft length, blade shape and surface area, weight (less weight is >$$$)
      - at least one fishing rod
      - selection of lures, hooks, bait etc.
      - noise making device (whistle attached to your PFD)
      - water and snack
      - fishing license
      - cell phone or VHF radio

2. Other types of gear that are often added (tradeoff between having lots of gear and the time needed to load and unload; also more gear means more weight)
      A. Additional Gear for safety/personal comfort
      - visibility to other boaters (flag pole, bright colored paddle blades, lights for night use)
      - basic first aid kit
      - spare dry clothing in dry bag
      - extra seat cushion
      - cart or wheels for moving kayak on land
      - digital still camera and/or video camera (possibly with mounting poles)

B. Additional Gear for Fishing
      - rod holders (flush mount vs. surface mount vs. rocket launcher) for multiple rods
      - fishfinder w/ or w/o GPS (will require battery)
      - extra tackle storage (milk crate, tackle bag, etc)
      - knife, pliers, and/or lip gripper tool
      - fish measuring board (like Hawg Trough)
      - anchor and trolley (also stake-out poles or Powerpoles)
      - electric motors and large batteries
      - cooler
      - net
      - live wells (to keep bait alive)
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I vote for the following:
        1. PFD. Make sure the lower back of the PFD is cut up high and mesh.
        2. Whistle to attach to the PFD.
        3. Some cam buckle kayak straps for securing the kayak when transporting it.
        4. A decent needle nose plier, preferably stainless to avoid rusting.
        5. A good paddle. I like the Bending Branches brand because they are affordable enough and some of their paddles come with foam paddle grips.
        6. A waterproof camera.
        7. A waterproof storage container to keep your keys, wallet, and cell phone in.
        8. Cheap carabiners to secure things to your kayak.
        9. A fish ruler.
        10. A leatherman's tool.

Comment

My first kayak had a foam seat about 1" thick sitting on the plastic of the upper hull. I bought one of those 1" thick hunting seats from WalMart. You know, the ones that are camo on top, black on the bottom and have a small strap on them to hold them to the climbing seats on the tree stands. The extra padding is nice on a long day/trip.

Get some of those paddle/fishing pole "keepers". Some are just straight nylon cords, some are curly cords, all of them attach to the paddle/pole with a nylon/Velcro set and to the kayak with a plastic clip. Bad enough to drop or knock your paddle/fishing pole over the side, but it's worse to have to chase that paddle on a windy day, or in the river current. Let alone losing a fishing rod/reel.

Take some dry shoes/clothes with you and leave them in your vehicle. It's nice to put on some dry socks/shoes/pants/shirt for the drive home, if you got wet enough.

A small "dry" bag with sun glasses, bug spray, sun block and a big enough hat to block some of the sun off your face/neck/ears.

Wear your watch, so you have an idea of what time you need to head back to the shore, so you don't get caught out on the water in the dark.

Comment

Wow...some great intel here, thank you. Im going to try and Ram Mount my iPad in a Lifeproof case for google maps/Navionics app use, and get a suitable sonar device. Now I'll be looking for a livewell and paddle.

Is their a seat thats know to be more comfortable?

Comment

I agree with J.A.Veil's post with the exception of moving the knife to the mandatory position. It should be on your body somehow and available if you need to cut some cord from around your legs, or other location.

Marine radio should be kept on your body as well, so you have it on you if you get separated from your Yak.
              People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Thanks Pat - love your tag line!

Comment

Murphangler,

I'll deviate here just a little. I know you asked for five must haves on your rig. You got excellent input. But unless you can transport your kayak securely from your home to the launch site and back, none of those recommendations will do you any good.

Your Quest 13 weighs about 65 pounds. You can car top your boat or slide it easily into a pickup. However you carry your boat over the roads and highways, you'll need to secure it to a vehicle. Many folks cushion their kayaks on rooftops or in pickup beds or on trailers with pool noodles or foam forms made especially to fit kayak or canoe hulls. Others have commercial racks made to carry kayaks. But everyone ties their boats down somehow. I started by using ropes on my van's roof rack until a fellow kayaker gave me a pair of ratchet tie down straps. I soon found them invaluable for securing my kayak to the top of my van.

Maybe you already had this figured out. But if not, look for some good tie down straps. They'll save you time loading and unloading and provide needed security as you travel the roads at highway speeds.

Welcome to the hobby.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

A headlamp, I always wear it when coming in towards dark in addition to a stern light. Helpful to see when you are paddling in, and makes you more visible to others. Also comes in handy for loading/unloading at poorly lit launches.

Tool kit, especially if you have a pedal yak but useful for anyone when something comes loose out on the water. Do an inventory of the type of fasteners used on your yak and only carry those tools.
                    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

i think the most important item to have is great kayak fishing buddies!!!! some fellow snagged liners always make my trips far better despite the catching or lack there of.
                      Rich
                      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Want to second the mention of a "dry box". Walmart sells a quality one for a cheap price in the camping section. You can put your wallet, car keys and cell phone inside and it even has a belt you can attach to your kayak. Fishing rod holders and tools with leashes (so you don't lose them) are also must haves if you are going to be fishing a lot. After that you can start deciding on fish finders (if fishing deep/unfamiliar waters) and tackle systems.
                        Green Old Town Loon 111
                        Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

I see a dry bag mentioned here, but I didn't specifically see leashes identified. They can be a pain, but can also save you some gear.

Comment

Good call...thank you!

Comment

PFD, fishing poles, tackle, food, beer.
                              Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Working...
                              X