small kayak for smallmouth in rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small kayak for smallmouth in rivers

I am looking for some advice as to a new kayak. I am looking for a boat to use for spring/summer smallmouth fishing. I'd like something small, as light weight as possible but pretty stable-I am 6 foot210. I have a ocean trident 13 which I love but it is a pain in the butt on smaller waters. Also I am not looking to spend a ton of money. After a bunch of looking I found Heritage Angler 10' which says it can handle uo to 325 lbs. It seems to have been discontinued but Academy Sports has some and will ship for 50 bucks. Keeping an eye out on craigslist and here also. Any insights or advice will be really appreciated. I am going to use it on the Doah, upper Potomac, Rapidan, etc. Thank you very much!!!

Take a look at the Native Ultimate 12. It would work well on rivers and is very light (49 lbs). It has a 350-lb weight capacity, is 12'1" long, and 30" wide. I accompanied one of my fishing buddies a few days ago when he picked up his new Ultimate.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Also the jackson coosa hd is a great boat call jim at Valley mill boats he may still have a demo left ,tell him I sent you .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
      Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

If your not looking for the best paddling boat, I saw a ocean kayak scrambler xt on craigslist going for 225 obo. Add a couple of side handles and scupper plugs and it would make a decent river float yak. Heavy rocker makes the boat turn with ease, but wouldn't want to paddle back up current in it. I use to own one and took it to the upper Potomac and had to paddle back up, long story short it was a pain. But for float trips it was great. Light at 56lbs or so. But it sits low and will get wet butt without plugs. Solid option if you ask me. Im also 6ft 220. Cockpit can be kinda tight at times, but would be worth checking into if you can talk the price down to even 200 it would be a great beater boat.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
        Tan-Tarpon 140
        Lime-Pelican Matrix
        Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Ihatework,

I’m the guy that John mentioned who bought an Ultimate 12. I picked it up on Friday.

ultimate 3.jpg

I wanted a light-weight boat for creeks and ponds, keeping my Hobie Revolution 13 for bigger waters.

I'm also precisely your size -- depending on what I have for dessert on a particular day or if I hit the Chinese buffet.

Believe it or not, I’m a pedal-pusher who also likes to paddle.

While I haven’t gotten my Ultimate 12 wet yet, I have paddled both the 14.5 foot version and the 12 footer during my trips to Tampa, FL. It’s not a sit-on-top kayak and has no scuppers which might be a deterrent to some. But it is stable, roomy and very seaworthy based on my experiences with Ultimates in windy conditions and choppy waters in Tampa. On one stormy trip in particular I shipped a lot of water but never worried about it. The kayak handled well with water sloshing at my feet. I know it will be fine for the areas I like to fish here. It paddles easily and tracks straight and I like its sleek lines – much like the profile of my Revo.

I’m not a stander and don’t intend to start, even though I fly fish often while kayak angling. But Native advertises standing as an attribute of their Ultimate kayaks.

I sold a Jackson Coosa to buy the Ultimate. That also would make a fine kayak for the Upper Potomac and Susquehanna to chase smallmouth. It’s designed to be a river boat. However, it’s a heavier kayak than the Ultimate 12 with significant rocker and it doesn’t paddle as easy in my opinion. Its weight and the rocker hindering smooth paddling were the reasons I sold the Coosa. It just didn’t work well as a secondary kayak for me in the waters I like to fish.

I believe the sharp lines and true tracking of the Ultimate would certainly be welcome in travelling upstream on a smallmouth trip.

Good luck in your search and decision.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

For rivers and not rough rapids I would say the Commander 120 or Ultimate 12. I like both, but like the commander better. Floating in current the boats tend to swing with the current and spin some times. I can sit on the captains perch and fish 270° to almost 360° and only limited in directions to cast based on the upright rods behind me. More fishing and less paddle adjustment because the boat spins a bit in the current.

Both are lighter and both and be hoisted and rested on top your shoulder for easy carrying around.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I really appreciate everybody taking the time to give me some advice. Somebody from the board reached out and offered to sell me a moken 10 lite used. It's really the perfect boat. Really appreciate the community here and hope to meet you all out on the water.

Sam alias "ihatework"

Comment

Working...
              X