Looking for a new paddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new paddle

Right now i paddle with a werner skagit. Im looking for something a little lighter and picks up speed faster. I wouldnt mind going to a CF paddle as mine as sustained very little abuse after 3 years. But would probably be more inclined to a fiberglass paddle. Whats out there for affordable full CF paddles under 300? And if you have any experience with them how do you like them?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I owned a aquabound eagle ray (low angle) paddle for 2 years and thought it was a great paddle. I have since upgraded to a adventure tech. oracle fiberglass (high angle). I just couldn't pull the trigger on it till hudson trail announced they were going out of business, and got it for a hell of a price of 160. Just going to fiberglass is a big jump. There is no more flex in the blade and I am able to maintain a 4.5mph cruising speed in a tarpon 140. I also go a deal on a all carbon fiber aqua bound surge (high angle) by far the best paddle I've owned. But with that being said and I bad to pay full retail I would stick to fiberglass. The only benefit of going full carbon is the weight savings. Usually around a couple of ounces. I use both paddles but usually stick to the full carbon when doing a heavy day of trolling. Also I went to all high angle paddles. As you keep the paddle closer to the kayak it allows a shorter blade length witch can save some weight. Now it took some time to get use to that paddle stroke and I still find myself going to a low angle from time to time, but over all you can move more water with a high angle blade. If budget isn't a factor I'd go carbon all day. But to keep it under that 300 dollar price there are A Lot Of nice fiberglass paddles. I'm a huge fan of aquabounds line of paddles, but even the adventure tech. at 32.5oz doesn't feel like it when paddling. One HUGE thing I will recommend is getting a adjustable length paddle. I go from a 225(high angle) when paddling against the wind, but to adjust to a 235-240 to take advantage of a lower stroke while trolling and relaxing is a plus. If you ever want to meet up and we can find a place to fish your more then welcome to try my 2 out.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    Tan-Tarpon 140
    Lime-Pelican Matrix
    Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

If you like your Skagit, you will love the Werner Shuna. I paddle with it and couldn't be happier. I have other Werner paddles - Camano and Kalista for touring - which I love, but I prefer the Shuna's ability to power through water to push my big boat. They will be on sale at EMS Annapolis next Saturday at the annual kayak demo
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I too paddle a Tarpon 140. I can get a 4 mph speed but felt i really had to work to maintain it. Ill take a look at the adventure techs.
        Originally posted by lovett88 View Post
        I owned a aquabound eagle ray (low angle) paddle for 2 years and thought it was a great paddle. I have since upgraded to a adventure tech. oracle fiberglass (high angle). I just couldn't pull the trigger on it till hudson trail announced they were going out of business, and got it for a hell of a price of 160. Just going to fiberglass is a big jump. There is no more flex in the blade and I am able to maintain a 4.5mph cruising speed in a tarpon 140. I also go a deal on a all carbon fiber aqua bound surge (high angle) by far the best paddle I've owned. But with that being said and I bad to pay full retail I would stick to fiberglass. The only benefit of going full carbon is the weight savings. Usually around a couple of ounces. I use both paddles but usually stick to the full carbon when doing a heavy day of trolling. Also I went to all high angle paddles. As you keep the paddle closer to the kayak it allows a shorter blade length witch can save some weight. Now it took some time to get use to that paddle stroke and I still find myself going to a low angle from time to time, but over all you can move more water with a high angle blade. If budget isn't a factor I'd go carbon all day. But to keep it under that 300 dollar price there are A Lot Of nice fiberglass paddles. I'm a huge fan of aquabounds line of paddles, but even the adventure tech. at 32.5oz doesn't feel like it when paddling. One HUGE thing I will recommend is getting a adjustable length paddle. I go from a 225(high angle) when paddling against the wind, but to adjust to a 235-240 to take advantage of a lower stroke while trolling and relaxing is a plus. If you ever want to meet up and we can find a place to fish your more then welcome to try my 2 out.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

The weight makes a big difference, i own bending branches angler pro. Paddled 30 miles these past 3 days and feel good. Tired but good.
          Native Watercraft Pro Staff
          2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
          33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
          2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
            If you like your Skagit, you will love the Werner Shuna. I paddle with it and couldn't be happier. I have other Werner paddles - Camano and Kalista for touring - which I love, but I prefer the Shuna's ability to power through water to push my big boat. They will be on sale at EMS Annapolis next Saturday at the annual kayak demo
            +1 on the Werner Shuna. Werner makes some great paddles, and if you can get it on sale even better. I know austin kayak gives 10% off for email news letter subscribers. But ounce for ounce I believe the shuna is the lightest paddle under 300, coming in at 27.5oz and the high angle blades push more water.

Tan-Tarpon 140
            Lime-Pelican Matrix
            Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

First paddle I bought was the Werner Shuna Hooked. Still have it. Great paddle.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
              X