Kayak advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak advice

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a new kayak to do some offshore and inshore fishing from. Something I can easily side saddle and occasionally stand in, I'd be drift fishing and bottom fishing a lot so pedal power isn't completely necessary for me. I just want a sit on top that's very stable but not a tank to paddle either. I don't have anywhere I could go to demo anything so I have a lot of research and hope you guys can help. If there's anything else I can tell you that I'd be doing with the yak that could help narrow down the options let me know. Thanks to everyone who can help me out

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Richard452 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a new kayak to do some offshore and inshore fishing from. Something I can easily side saddle and occasionally stand in, I'd be drift fishing and bottom fishing a lot so pedal power isn't completely necessary for me. I just want a sit on top that's very stable but not a tank to paddle either. I don't have anywhere I could go to demo anything so I have a lot of research and hope you guys can help. If there's anything else I can tell you that I'd be doing with the yak that could help narrow down the options let me know. Thanks to everyone who can help me out

Check out the Versaboard by Native or Liquid Logic. Its a kayak, and an SUP. Its very low profile makes it easy to store and transport.

One of the best features is the deluxe seat. It allows you to rotate in either direction allowing you to sit sideways. Very stable.

Ive had one for several years now and I love it!

Good luck

Comment

If you were to get peddle and want to stand the slayer 13 propel or hobie outback are the best bets...but both weigh in around 90lbs. I prefer to paddle myself and for what you are trying to do I'd recommend something in the 13.5ft-15ft. Any kind of open water the longer the boat the better off your going to be. In no particular order I'd say you would do well with a Jackson Kracken 13.5 or cuda 14, ocean kayak trident 13 (or ultra 4.3), wilderness thresher 140, or moken 14. For internal rod storage on offshore trips all these kayaks will offer this option. Now as far as features you would have to narrow down what is most important to you and your style of fishing ie "high low style seat, gear tracks, hard handles, wheel in keel, style of hatches, weight capacity, kayak weight.....ect ect." all of these kayaks will excel where you want to go its just a matter of features. Also to me the rocker of a kayak is overlooked my a lot of fisherman. The trident and moken have a decent rocker and will help aid in turning a long kayak like that.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
      Tan-Tarpon 140
      Lime-Pelican Matrix
      Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

This might be bucking the trend--good chance I'll take some flak for this. You didn't mention your skill or experience level with kayaking, so I'll presume you're new to the activity. If not, disregard.

Offshore kayaking is a serious endeavor and I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't familiar with the kind of kayak you'd need. Spend enough time on the water and you'll know exactly what you need--which takes me to my second point. If you're new to kayaking it might make financial sense to pick up a cheap sit-on-top yak before laying out big bucks for a Native/Hobie. I fished from a SINK for about two years before upgrading--and by that point I knew exactly what I wanted.

If I were in your shoes, I'd scour Craigslist for the cheapest sit on top kayak (with a decent seat) I could find. Not sure how much brand/model really matters when you're searching entry-level yaks. I think overall condition probably matters more. After a summer on that yak, you won't need to ask any of us for advice on what to buy, and you'll have minimal money in a yak you can keep for a friend, or sell on Craigslist.
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
          This might be bucking the trend--good chance I'll take some flak for this. You didn't mention your skill or experience level with kayaking, so I'll presume you're new to the activity. If not, disregard.

Offshore kayaking is a serious endeavor and I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't familiar with the kind of kayak you'd need. Spend enough time on the water and you'll know exactly what you need--which takes me to my second point. If you're new to kayaking it might make financial sense to pick up a cheap sit-on-top yak before laying out big bucks for a Native/Hobie. I fished from a SINK for about two years before upgrading--and by that point I knew exactly what I wanted.

If I were in your shoes, I'd scour Craigslist for the cheapest sit on top kayak (with a decent seat) I could find. Not sure how much brand/model really matters when you're searching entry-level yaks. I think overall condition probably matters more. After a summer on that yak, you won't need to ask any of us for advice on what to buy, and you'll have minimal money in a yak you can keep for a friend, or sell on Craigslist.
          I completely over looked this, and you bring up very good points. Ive kayak fished for 4 years now and mostly bay (open water, lakes, rivers) offshore is not on my list of things to jump into as I fish by myself 95% of the time. Thanks for bring it up. Could save a life

Tan-Tarpon 140
          Lime-Pelican Matrix
          Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Originally posted by lovett88 View Post
            I completely over looked this, and you bring up very good points. Ive kayak fished for 4 years now and mostly bay (open water, lakes, rivers) offshore is not on my list of things to jump into as I fish by myself 95% of the time. Thanks for bring it up. Could save a life

I'm just thinking about that squall we had on Monday evening in the NOVA area. It went from light rain to hail, then to a raging lightning storm in about 20 minutes.

It's good to talk boat stuff--that's why he's here, after all, asking for a recommendation. And the recommendations listed above seem fine to me. But I think it's a fairly common trend for new folks to place undue emphasis on the make/model of the yak, when the most important component is the knowledgeability and skill of the kayaker. With a little determination, an experienced kayaker can probably make just about anything work, depending on what he's trying to do. It's possible to row the English Channel in a bathtub, after all.
            I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            Garmin Echomap 93sv
            RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I understand what you guys are saying about the skill level and all but trust me I'd never go offshore alone is only go with a group of I was able to find anyone, otherwise I'm staying inshore.

Comment

And I understand the make/model isn't all that, I think I just need something with a bit of rocker and a sharp front V hull to cut through the waves and track better, I'm still doing research but from boat experience that's all I really know

Comment

You stated that you have 4 years of kayaking experience, by now you should know what you want or at least try to find a demo day. I know there is a couple coming up. If you want a stable kayak, like my BG2 then you will have to sacrifice speed. Its best to go out and demo
                  Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                  2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                  33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                  2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Originally posted by D3NAL1 View Post
                    You stated that you have 4 years of kayaking experience, by now you should know what you want or at least try to find a demo day. I know there is a couple coming up. If you want a stable kayak, like my BG2 then you will have to sacrifice speed. Its best to go out and demo
                    I listed the 4 years experience, its the other guy asking about kayaks. But I agree a demo day can give you a lot of insight on glide of the kayak, rocker, and both primary and secondary stability points.

Tan-Tarpon 140
                    Lime-Pelican Matrix
                    Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

My bad
                      Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                      2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                      33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                      2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

If you want a stable SOT, I have the FeelFree Lure 13.5 I like really well. It isn't a peddle type but I do add a rear side mounted trolling motor when I feel the need to use power.

Comment

I have the ocean kayak big game 2 I'm a big guy and I love it
                          Attached Files

Comment

I've taken my hobie outback offshore several times and it was very comfortable. At one point we had 4ft swells and some white tips, and I'll admit i was worried for a bit, but it handled just fine. I'm 6ft 230lbs so i wouldn't trust myself on anything narrower. My buddy was doing alright on a trident 13. Also a lot if people like the revo for offshore.

I think the only con about the outback offshore is coming back bc the flatter bottom makes it get pushed by the waves and it's easier to turtle. But I've had no problems so far (knock on wood).

It also depends on the fishing you're doing. In FL vertical jigging is popular, and a paddle gets in the way. Around here you can get by with paddle or peddle, although peddling makes fishing so much easier.

Comment

Kayak advice

Yah I'd mostly be bottom fishing and some live bait fishing. trolling and throwing some lures for some blues,striper,and albaco, I've been looking at the Jackson cuda a lot seems to do well in rough water conditions and for its width it's pretty stable

Comment

Working...
                              X