Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A slightly different approach to loading my kayak on the roof...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A slightly different approach to loading my kayak on the roof...

While my kayak is only 10foot and not that heavy, previously it involved sort of lift, clean, and jerk, with a flick of my right elbow and toss with my left arm, to get the yak up on the roof.

And removing it from the roof required a bit of contortion as the outside handle wasn't accessible, until it came off the roof.

The padding on my racks allows my to run a two by four on the inside, which sits below the padding. Basically like another bar on the rack, but the two by four now extends out past the side of the car.
    This allows me to have a staging area, to prop the front end kayak on the two by four, and easily lift and place the rear of the kayak on the rear rack. Then easily move the front over.
    Virtually no contortion putting on and off.
    There are two by fours at the big box store, that are slightly smaller in diameter than a regular framing two by four. The small diameter allows the two by four to fit neatly below the existing rack padding, and slides right out.
    You'll want to strap the two by four with bungies or similar to the exisiting cross bar on the roof rack.
    This is all extremely simple.

About a month ago I woke up with a stiff neck and "slightly" pinched nerve on my shoulder blade.
    I felt better a couple of days later and went fishing, and the paddling worked out the "kinks" and felt great.
    Last Thursday I went out..... not a brutal day of paddling... I came home and with the normal bit of aches.
    I was sitting here at my desk typing and I quickly turned around and wacked the heck out of the my neck... and had an extremely pinched nerve in my shoulder blade.
    It was four days of very much pain, and I could hardly stay vertical, sitting in my chair was ok... but more than five or ten minutes of standing and I was wacked.

Don't know if my contortion method of putting the kayak on the roof had anything to do with it... they say it is a posture thing and your vertebrae that cause the pinched nerve.

Well now I have the new method of getting the kayak on and off the roof, which is a breeze. I tested four times this morning.

I guess I am officially in the COFC (Crusty Old Fart Club) now. And I do my posture exercises.
Working...
X