No announcement yet.

Bixpy Test Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was on the fence between bixpy and watersnake, but it sounds like people favor bixpy.

I would use the bixpy like you, John. Get there with the motor and some mirage, but use mirage once I'm at the fishing spot. The system would help me go farther.

Your CBBT example gave me a good idea of runtime since I've fished there often; my favorite place.

I assume you used the bixpy power pack. I'm thinking about using a LiFePO4 pack instead, but it's 12v. So, I believe two packs in series should do the trick even though 24v is not quite the same as the bixpy 25.9v pack. I'm not sure of the capacity needed, and that's why I asked about capacity and amp draw on the bixpy system.

Anyone do a side mount? I also would like to use a side mount with the bixpy, but I don't believe there's a mount for it. Maybe I'll DIY mount using an donor non-working MinnKota.
    Last edited by tufnik; 08-08-2019, 08:15 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      I assume you used the bixpy power pack. I'm thinking about using a LiFePO4 pack instead, but it's 12v. So, I believe two packs in series should do the trick even though 24v is not quite the same as the bixpy 25.9v pack. I'm not sure of the capacity needed, and that's why I asked about capacity and amp draw on the bixpy system.
      I don’t think you can buy a Bixpy without a power pack, so I’d try that first. In my early attempt to relocate the battery I emailed them about getting some connectors and they wouldn’t sell me any. Now of course they sell extension cables, so I no longer needed to fabricate my own. Additionally they informed me that using any other battery is a bad idea. First off it would void the warranty. Secondly you will not be able to control the motor with the wireless remote which is nice. There are also many safety features built into their packs that protect the motor and battery, so personally I wouldn’t risk it. But if you do, please post up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
        I was on the fence between bixpy and watersnake, but it sounds like people favor bixpy.

I would use the bixpy like you, John. Get there with the motor and some mirage, but use mirage once I'm at the fishing spot. The system would help me go farther.

Your CBBT example gave me a good idea of runtime since I've fished there often; my favorite place.

Anyone do a side mount? I also would like to use a side mount with the bixpy, but I don't believe there's a mount for it. Maybe I'll DIY mount using an donor non-working MinnKota.
        Coupled with what Silas says.... I've been running Lifepo4's for close to 4 years now, most mfg I've run across don't recommend running them in series due to the internal monitoring system. You'd be better off buying a 24V lifepo4.

The controller I use is both manual or wireless. Then I've included a Victron battery monitoring system, with that I have complete information not only on what I am using but what I have left and the amount of runtime that is still available either on the unit or via Bluetooth.

Comment

Yeah, been thinking about those things (e.g., power pack and remote), and your post confirmed by concerns, John.

It's a risk, but buying just the thruster and hooking it up to a 24v LiFePO4 pack is tempting. On the other hand, the costs of 24v LiFePO4 pack, thruster, controller, etc. can exceed the costs of the whole bixpy kit.

Your right, Oldbay, the LiFePO4 series approach is a no-no. But the 24v LiFePO4 is pricey.

Need to rethink this, and reconsider the watersnake.

Thanks for the insight, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
            Here's Jeff's video that a couple of you have mentioned. It's a Bixpy vs Torqeedo.
            Jeff's a Torqeedo employee, but he gave it a fair side to side test. He actually shot this video many months ago, but he didn't release it until recently. We were both interested to see how the Bixpy would do. I called him probably every day to see how the tests were going and we were both bummed when the Bixpy broke on the maiden voyage. I think it'd be better without the cage. If a rock or something else gets in there, as was the case in Jeff's video, the prop just eats itself apart. It's early to tell how it holds up over the long run, but this video shows the speed and range of both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUOi...ature=youtu.be
            I must say that was the most biased, "non-biased" review I think I have ever watched. I could go into details, but I digress.

The Bixby is a solid platform when you factor in cost. You lose speed over the Torqeedo for a couple reasons. Mainly the shroud is the culprit, or better put, the "kort nozzle". It is basically free torque under a certain threshold (look them up if you are unaware of why) of speed. It is great for thrust torque and vectoring.

I went down this path a while ago and ended up building my own system that took the best of both worlds from Bixpy and Torqeedo. I was able to design a system that would push a fully loaded PA14 3.5MPH for over 4 hours straight, for under $800, and weighed under 10 lbs. It had all the same features as Torqeedo, (kill switch, voltage/mileage tracking, flip over safety, etc) minus the GPS tracking.

It was a fun project and if I was to do it over again, I would settle with a Bixpy. A lot of work went into the DIY solution. My only gripe with Bixby is the range. I wish they offered a larger battery. You could just buy a second one but I would opt for one with double the capacity in one unit.

Torqeedo is a fine product however, but I think it separates the weekend warriors for the elitests, and Bixby bridges that. Bixby also serves as a thruster unit you can use if you snorkel or dive, which is awesome for the kiddos at the lake/pool.
            Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Congratulations.

You're the first example of successful snakehead trolling I've heard of.

Personal bests on a kayak-
            Bass - 18.5''
            Striper - 22.5"
            Snakehead - 28"

Comment

What's the preferred place you guys order your bixpy from?

Comment

Working...
              X