No announcement yet.

Square hatch conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Outback is one of the oldest all-purpose fishing kayak designs- the molds have paid for themselves decades ago- if Hobie wanted to they could reduce the price by $500 and still make a decent return on their product...it is the middle-man costs of the distributors and local dealer network that has to make money to stay in business...a modification of the design, new molds, new materials...all drive demand...the old economic law of supply/demand keeps prices where they are- the real driver of costs reduction is competition- the introduction of pedal drives from other manufacturers caused Hobie to lose market share and come up with the Compass...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post

3. Keep production costs down by eliminating the front storage hatch on the Outback and replacing it with the continuous, solid front deck design of the Compass (i.e. no hatch)**

* Hobie can still charge customers to upgrade to the 180-Mirage Drive and/or the Turbo Fins
      Manny,

I've wondered about the utility of the large front hatch on Hobie's kayaks for years. The only thing I ever placed in the front hatch of my old Revo was the FF transducer. In my new one, nothing will go in it...ever. One reason is because I cannot reach it on the water. If I cannot access something on the water, I see no need to take it for a ride! That's why I thought it was a good idea when the Hobie eliminated the front hatch on the Compass.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but for fishing applications I see very little need for a large front hatch. For touring applications, yes. For most fishing trips, no.

Regarding the 180 drive, some Hobie dealers already will work with customers as you suggest. I could have purchased my 2018 Revo without the 180 drive and a commensurate discount to the price. In the end, I decided to pay for the 180 and I'm glad I did.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Manny,

I've wondered about the utility of the large front hatch on Hobie's kayaks for years. The only thing I ever placed in the front hatch of my old Revo was the FF transducer. In my new one, nothing will go in it...ever. One reason is because I cannot reach it on the water. If I cannot access something on the water, I see no need to take it for a ride! That's why I thought it was a good idea when the Hobie eliminated the front hatch on the Compass.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but for fishing applications I see very little need for a large front hatch. For touring applications, yes. For most fishing trips, no.

Regarding the 180 drive, some Hobie dealers already will work with customers as you suggest. I could have purchased my 2018 Revo without the 180 drive and a commensurate discount to the price. In the end, I decided to pay for the 180 and I'm glad I did.
        I agree 100% Mark. The front hatch is inaccessible when underway. I use mine to stow my FF battery because I feel it helps move the center of gravity a bit forward, but I certainly do not have a need to reach in there when I’m on the water.
        In fact, I see the front hatch as a liability and an area that may have water intrusion problems as the kayak ages if not maintained properly.
        The Compass front deck design is simple, practical, and customizable (as well as water tight) - a winning combination in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          the real driver of costs reduction is competition- the introduction of pedal drives from other manufacturers caused Hobie to lose market share and come up with the Compass...
          You make a good point Ron.
          Hobie has enjoyed having a significant portion of the kayak fishing market for many years. Quality products from other competitors are driving Hobie to innovate and/or reduce prices - the Compass design is a perfect example. The Compass is still building a following. Will it become a legendary design like the Outback? Who knows, only time will tell.
          I’d like to think the executives at Hobie strive to embrace change and innovation and in that spirit they listen to their customers. If my hunch is correct, Hobie will improve on their tested designs, like the Outback, while working out the growing pains associated with newer designs like the Compass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I agree Manny- I have never opened my front hatch...ever- you would think Hobie (as well as all major kayak makers) would moniter posts like these- one relative simple design change would be a wave cutting bow like the Ocean Prowler series tapering back to the present Outback bottom...I believe that one tweak would up the top speed considerably and reduce the “perceived “hull slap” that some criticise the Outback over...I think the best design change they ever made was to improve the seat comfort with the adjustable Vantage seat...made me very happy...
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-11-2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Well gentlemen, I finally took the plunge and installed the rectangular hatch on my Outback.

After watching many hours of YouTube videos, getting advice from others on this forum, and taking a deep breath before placing jigsaw blade to plastic, it turned out (as advertised) to be a simple modification.

Thank you all for providing tips, tricks, and encouragement for this project.

Here are the pics:

round hatch.jpg

round hatch removed.jpg

line template.jpg

post cut.jpg

closed hatch.jpg

hatch no bucket2.jpg

bucket with contents.jpg
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Nice job Manny...I don’t carry anything in my back well since installing mine...the drop in bucket holds two 3600 Plano boxes-all the lures I need or use...I swap them out for fresh water or saltwater fishing...
                Should be a standard feature on all Outbacks

Comment

Looks as good as a factory installation.

Excellent job, Manny.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Well done Manny! I know its hard to take the plunge with a rotozip to the yak!
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Like everyone has said, it was a easy project once it was done. I'm very happy with the results and tried out it yesterday on the water. Worked like a champ, although admittedly, I only went in there once during the whole trip :-)
                      -manny

Hobie Outback
                      Wilderness Systems 130T
                      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I routinely stand/paddle and cast from my out back. Would the larger hole cause any structural integrity issues in your opinions?
                        Hobie Outback
                        Stand Up Paddle Board
                        Pelican 100

Comment

The frame is a lot stronger and much more substantial than the eight inch round hatch...I don’t see any down side with the square hatch...and I use mine all the time...the upgrade was well worth it...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            The frame is a lot stronger and much more substantial than the eight inch round hatch...I don’t see any down side with the square hatch...and I use mine all the time...the upgrade was well worth it...
                            Thanks Ron.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Stand Up Paddle Board
                            Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                            X