Portable AM/FM Radio Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable AM/FM Radio Recommendations?

I'm looking at getting a new radio for the kayak to use on those long days on the water or for background noise when I'm anchored up bait fishing. I used to have a small, waterproof AM/FM radio from LL Bean with the battery/solar/hand crank charge option. It got fair enough reception depending on my location, but only held up for about two years before it eventually succumbed to salt water exposure. I kinda miss having it now.

Does anybody have any good recommendations for a small, portable, waterproof AM/FM radio for the kayak? Something that can take some abuse and get at least half decent reception? I'm not looking for anything that I would have to mount, wire, or buy special batteries for.

Thanks in advance.
    Brian

Check out Bed, Bath and Beyond. I always see them there and if you're like most people, you should get their 20% coupons in the mail.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Waterproof bluetooth speakers have SIGNIFICANTLY come down in price in recent years, but you'd obviously need a transmitter aka cell phone, with an unlimited data plan to stream 'the tunes' for an all-day fishing session.

AM/FM might be the way to go, i'm curious if anyone else has recommendations. Also, with the Hobie PA i've seen some guys online installing huge batteries, so i'm sure one of them has a hardwired full stereo system
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
        Waterproof bluetooth speakers have SIGNIFICANTLY come down in price in recent years, but you'd obviously need a transmitter aka cell phone, with an unlimited data plan to stream 'the tunes' for an all-day fishing session.
        I have a small Bluetooth speaker I clip to my life vest but have never used it. I'm always too worried I'll spook the fish. I use Pandora (there are so many better options but I'm too lazy to switch) and the data usage is pretty minimal.

I'll be waiting for the thread about what kind of music attracts the most fish.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
          Check out Bed, Bath and Beyond. I always see them there and if you're like most people, you should get their 20% coupons in the mail.

Shower radio; that option didn't come to my mind right away. I'll check that out.
          Brian

Comment

AM/FM might be the way to go, i'm curious if anyone else has recommendations. Also, with the Hobie PA i've seen some guys online installing huge batteries, so i'm sure one of them has a hardwired full stereo system
            I still use a flip phone

My only smart phone is through work.
            Brian

Comment

I got one of those speakers off amazon for under 30$ over a year ago (AYL brand I think), and it sounds great, and has worked great since. It does have a lot of surface rust from salt spray on it, and it's pretty much had that since day 1, but if that's the only drawback, I'm fine with it. In fact, I looked real quick on amazon, and it's $25 and there are other alternatives for less than $35 which have am/fm radios built in. But yeah I use the speaker mainly just to bluetooth to my phone, so I can keep it in a protective sleeve attached to my pfd. Calls come through pretty clear on the water, and I do stream pandora through it when I'm drift fishing or anchored up. I prefer quiet when I'm trolling.

Comment

Sound travels far on the water.

There's a commercial crabber in Eastern Bay who listens to talk radio while he works. I see him, (or I should say I hear him) often when I launch into Goodhands creek. In fact, I hear his radio long before I hear his engine.

There's nothing stealthy about his approach to his work.

Perhaps crabs cannot hear well. Or maybe they like talk radio.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                  I actually work for bed bath and beyond and I use there I Home speakers out on the kayak all the time. They have a cheap blue tooth speaker for around 20 bucks. The battery runs for four hours and is “slash proof” not water proof l. But at the cost it is a easy replacement. I keep my phone in a dry case in my PFD to change songs or podcasts. I would stop by and check out the iPhone line. If your phone battery isn’t the best I’ve also kept my phone in a dry bag connected to a battery power pack to charge it while it plays. It’s a great way to kill some time while out on the water. I was thinking about picking up a small shower radio but the speaker worked out well enough that I haven’t needed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Desert Camo- Moken 14
                  Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

My VHf has am Fm built in the radio.
                    2012 hobie outback
                    2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Being an old guy I have over 6,000 songs most all the top 40 from 1955 through 1990 and some from that era on my phone. Sooooo I have one of these to listen to them while I am out on the water. Not water proof but water resistant

Comment

I have an idea that will cost you nothing. Sing. 😂
                        Native Titan Propel 12
                        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                        Mercury 6hp
                        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
                        Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Originally posted by coop1486 View Post
                          My VHf has am Fm built in the radio.
                          What kind of radio and how's the FM reception?
                          Brian

Comment

Working...
                          X