Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling Motor Battery

All,

I am looking for a lighter weight option for the trolling motor battery in my kayak.

Looking to see if any of you have any experience with this manufacturer. For what it is, it seems like a really good price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-50AH-Li....c100675.m4236

Thanks,

Kurt

Hey Joker,

I'm not too sure about that manufacturer, first it's a direct sale from China so shipping will be $$$ and take a while.
    I agree that it's a good price point at about $300, however I coudn't see where it said "waterproof or marine use". Just a word of caution Lithium and water are an explosive combination, and that case does not look ruggediezed at all.
    I do have experience with this battery
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It is about the same price after shipping and it's backed by Amazon so you won't be calling China to ask where your package is.
    Also this battery is the same 12v 50 ah but is it only 10 pounds (the other battery said it was 6 kilos), and it is marine grade made for trolling motors.
    This is what I use and would recommend.
    I have a small trolling motor but this little battery is rated up to 70 amps discharge so it will handle any 12v trolling motor.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    it only weighs 6 pounds and it puts out 400 watts, kinda like a torquedo but only costs $99.
    Paired up with the battery I have 20 pounds of thrust and all total only weighs 16 pounds on my micro skiff.
    I can't say that it is anywhere near the quality of the torquedo motor or battery, but I only use my electric motor in water that is too deep to push pole.
    I think some guys have been talking about those torquedo batteries going on sale on another thread and that may be worth looking into as well.
    But if your like me and don't use the motor to travel anywhere then a $400 to $500 lightweight option is out there.
    Good luck on your search and hope you catch a great deal on your new battery.

Comment

I too would recommend sticking to marine grade. The WaterBlade makes two different batteries, the lesser priced Li Ion, per the link, and the slightly more expensive LiFePo4. The LiFePo4 is considered the safer of the lithium batteries and is what most marine battery manufacturers use. Both will work but I would recommend going the few extra $$$ and get the LiFePo4. These for 50AH are the lowest out there for marine use. I felt the need for a larger lithium one so I purchased from a different company with great pricing compared to others. I paid less for my newer 100ah lifepo4 than I did with my original 75ah one and the quality is just as good.

Comment

Thanks all,

I had seen a thread a couple years ago where @MetroMan had put something similar to what I'm looking at into his Torque. The one I'm looking at is about half the price of the one he used. Currently I'm running a Bassyaks Tarpon 140 with an AGM battery and would like something a little (a lot) lighter weight, without running up the cost too high.

Here's the thread I mentioned:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...hlight=Battery

Kurt

Comment

I had replied to this thread earlier today but it never showed up. Strange...

There was a thread some time ago started by MetroMan, about a battery he had purchased and placed into his kayak. Here's the link: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...hlight=Battery

The battery in my original post is similar, although heaver than that one, but it does have a higher AH rating, and is about half the price.

Comment

Oldbayrunner,

Would you care to share who you purchased your 100ah battery from?

Thanks

Comment

I don’t know what’s going on here. I have tried to respond twice to this thread and neither response has made it. Perhaps moderators think I’m hawking a Chinese made battery...

There was a thread some time ago from MetroMan, titled “new battery...again”. I had exchanged messages with him a bit about the battery a couple years ago. I thought the battery I had linked in the original post was similar to the one he had used, although a bit heavier and half of what he had paid.

I had tried to add that thread as a link. Maybe that is why my responses are still under moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                Oldbayrunner,

Would you care to share who you purchased your 100ah battery from?

Thanks
                https://www.bioennopower.com/
                With the exception of the Water Blade 50ah, this is the least priced larger AH quality LiFePo4 battery I have found to date. With the Sun batteries, the connectors they use are quality but my impression is where they are saving cost is with the casing they are using. For marine application I feel it would need to be enclosed in a better waterproof enclosure. The price for the battery is good though.
                Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-14-2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Oldbayrunner for the info.
                  I think that I would be inclined to go with the smaller, cheaper WaterBlade marine 50ah model. It's much lighter than my 27 series deep cycle lead acid battery!
                  According to the Amazon site, they claim 2+ hours at full throttle with a 40-50 lb. thrust motor.........not sure if I quite believe that, but for where I fish it should be adequate.

I did a little research and found that it is cheaper to order it directly from WaterBlade then from Amazon and they take PayPal so it is very convenient.
                  Last edited by bignose; 03-14-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                    Thanks, Oldbayrunner for the info.
                    I think that I would be inclined to go with the smaller, cheaper WaterBlade marine 50ah model. It's much lighter than my 27 series deep cycle lead acid battery!
                    According to the Amazon site, they claim 2+ hours at full throttle with a 40-50 lb. thrust motor.........not sure if I quite believe that, but for where I fish it should be adequate.

I did a little research and found that it is cheaper to order it directly from WaterBlade then from Amazon and they take PayPal so it is very convenient.
                    LOL somebody was smoking something when they wrote that. What you wont get is the power drop off as with an sla which does contribute to a 20-30% longer runtime. I strongly suggest you get the Lifepo4 one. You'll be a much happier using a lithium. You using a pwm controller?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                      I strongly suggest you get the Lifepo4 one. You'll be a much happier using a lithium.
                      I couldn't agree more. If you need convincing, go to your local boat ramp and watch the jon boat guys wrestle with their SLA batteries after a day on the water. Even if they don't offer better performance, your back will thank you.
                      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Just to mention, if you are using an sla and use a voltage meter with a usage scale to monitor your power with the lithium you'd need to pick up one for that type or it wont give you the correct readings. On mine I am using both a scaled meter and a Powewerx watt meter to monitor my power draw.

Comment

Working...
                        X