Advise on new Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on new Kayak

I am looking to get a new kayak, and want to get it right this time. I have several canoes and small kayaks that are great for the grand kids and playing around. I am looking for the kayak I want now. I live on the Va side of the Northern Neck (Kinsale) in the lower Potomac, and fish mostly Rockfish as well as Drum, Croaker, Spot, Cobia, etc. I am looking at the Native Titan Propel 13.5 or Slayer Propel 13, or perhaps the Hobie Pro Angler. I was hoping someone here might have some insight to the manuverability, stability, fishability, speed, overall comfort, and most important personal experience of the choices, or perhaps some advice on other options. Oh, as you may have guessed from my choices I would like pedel power. I want to be able to go several miles out (at least the chanel bouys in the potomac) on nice days. I do know how to row and pedal, the work is not my issue, but the efficency. My gut is telling me the Slayer is the yak I want, but the salesmen keep telling me the Titan or pro angler is the correct choice. Just looking now for feedback from the people that really know.

There is a good saying, Buy your 2nd kayak First. I purchased a Vibe SG130, then went to an Outback. One year later I'm kicking myself for not getting the PA14 right out of the gate. With that said I'm thinking of selling my Outback and getting a Solo Skiff instead. It's a kayak on steroids. I know that Delaware Paddle Sports is having a demo day on April 28th. That would be a great place to start.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Each of the boats you mentioned are excellent fishing platforms. I suspect the speediest is the Slayer. Each are also stable and comfortable. But each are also too heavy for me to comfortably transport. If that's not an issue for you, then your choice may come down to whether you prefer the cyclical pedaling motion of the Native or the in-and-out pedaling motion of the Hobie.

Good luck in your choice and welcome to the forum.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

There is a lot of information on Snaggedline about pedal powered kayaks. Hobie holds by far the largest share among members here who pedal. But there are other very good options out there too. You are already aware of Native Watercraft, the other manufacturer that has been selling pedal kayaks for many years. Native has recently come out with a variety of new and innovative models, including the Titan 13.5 that you mentioned, and its two smaller siblings the Titan 10.5 and Titan 12. Like the Hobie Pro Anglers, the Titans are large and stable kayaks, but are quite heavy. You should consider the weight of the hull, drive units, and any other items you bolt to the hull when considering which kayak to buy. Some of our members love the larger boats. As an older guy with a sore back, my personal kayaks are at the opposite end of the weight spectrum.

Take a look at the recent thread on the Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers forum on Snaggedline. There is some discussion about pedal drive kayaks there that may help you. I am on Native's Pro Staff team and may be able to provide more information about the different Native models. I am tied up with some things for the next few days, but am willing to get on the phone with you next week. If interested, send me a pmail.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
          I know that Delaware Paddle Sports is having a demo day on April 28th. That would be a great place to start.
          This. You can read every review that you can find and get all the advice in the world, but you won't really know until you sit down in a few to see what suits you best.
          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Each of the boats you mentioned are excellent fishing platforms. I suspect the speediest is the Slayer. Each are also stable and comfortable. But each are also too heavy for me to comfortably transport. If that's not an issue for you, then your choice may come down to whether you prefer the cyclical pedaling motion of the Native or the in-and-out pedaling motion of the Hobie.

Good luck in your choice and welcome to the forum.
            I agree, the biggest factor imo is the type of pedal motion. I’ve never tried the bike pedal style drives, but in my head I have always felt the Hobie linear pedaling was a better fit for me. While both styles certainly have their shining points, being able to work the Hobie mirage drive with only partial pushes at times is favorable to the full rotation required for the other styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Mike

Comment

I have really bad knees and cannot use an exercise bike- the rotating motion kills my knees...no ACL in the right knee and miniscus tears in left knee- 4 knee operations- 2 on each knee...and I credit the Mirage drive with the fact I have great muscle tone in both legs and have not had to have replacement knees-used the system for six years now- big fan...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

You've done your homework and narrowed the field. Now it's time to test them out on the water to see what the best fit for you is.

No boat will be perfect. Each model has its own strengths and weaknesses. You will have to decide what features you are willing to compromise on and which features are "must haves".

One notable item that stood out in the boats you have shown interest - that John and Mark have already mentioned - is the weight of the kayaks (e.g. Titan 13.5 and PA). Keep in mind, if you do end up going with these models you may be forced into trailering the boat since transporting them is clumsy and awkward. Car-topping them is difficult. If you have a pickup, you can throw it in the bed, but now you are restricted and cannot take a second boat if you plan on bringing along family or friends to join you on the water.

The trailering option minimizes having to lift the heavy boat onto the roof of your vehicle or the bed of your truck. A trailer also affords you the opportunity to carry multiple crafts. However, the trailer is now an additional piece of equipment that brings with it a purchase cost, a licensing cost, and a recurring maintenance cost. Finally, a trailer will limit you to certain kayak launch locations. Many small, underdeveloped and/or neighborhood launches do not allow users to park boat trailers in their limited parking areas. Because of the trailer you may be forced to launch from a much larger boat ramp frequented by the powerboat clique. In my experience, this means overcrowded launches, congested parking, and one must pay a fee to use the ramp.

Both Native and Hobie have other very capable platforms that provide you what you are looking for in a kayak: maneuverability, stability, fishability, speed, overall comfort. I can't speak for Native, I'll let John do that, but the Hobie Outback is a great platform and it meets all the criteria you are looking for without the additional weight of the PA series. If you get a chance to demo some boats, I would encourage you to add the Outback to your list.
                Last edited by baitball; 03-16-2018, 03:10 AM.
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                  There is a good saying, Buy your 2nd kayak First. I purchased a Vibe SG130, then went to an Outback. One year later I'm kicking myself for not getting the PA14 right out of the gate. With that said I'm thinking of selling my Outback and getting a Solo Skiff instead. It's a kayak on steroids. I know that Delaware Paddle Sports is having a demo day on April 28th. That would be a great place to start.
                  Let me know if you're selling that camo outback, if you want to shoot me a PM or something. And yes, those solo skiff's are pretty awesome, if they had a pedal drive they'd be perfect. I don't think they're kayaks though, just a skiff that you can more easily paddle. But as we've said in discussions before, everyone's definition for a kayak is different.

As others have said Jhooker, make sure to look around at local dealers and their demo days, they really are the best option for finding what you want. I have fished from an outback, a pro angler, and a tandem hobie before, but never a revo. It may be worth a look, and I think I'm going to the demo day at DPS on April 28.

And salesmen always try to sell you the biggest/most expensive kayak, but you may find you like a smaller or more minimalist kayak, like a Hobie Compass, Perception Pilot, etc. Just give them all a try and narrow it down further.

Comment

Yep...salesmen get paid a “commission” based upon what you buy...the more money you spend, the more they make...same with the dealer...the more money spent at their business, the better...I bought a paddle kayak as my first kayak...after fishing with it for a while...after fishing with other kayakers with Hobie Mirage Drives...after fighting wind and currents...I bought my first Hobie Outback...slightly (lightly)used from an Army helicopter pilot headed for combat duty in Afghanistan...IMHO the Outback is about my upper limit as far as weight and size that I can handle at 72 years old...and as others have said Pro Anglers are too big and too heavy (not to mention $$) for me to load and unload in my pickup truck...my knee limitations rule out all bycycle motion pedal drives...and there are a lot of places I launch from that do not allow trailers...as others have advised- there is no perfect kayak...what is perfect for me may not be for you...in full disclosure- I have no dog in any fights here- not sponsored or compensated in any way by any company or dealers...I would definitely take a hard look at the new Compass by Hobie- lighter than an Outback still Mirage drive...less expensive...that said- I can’t think of any kayak out there I would rather have than the Lady Luck...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

As always on Snaggedline folks have weighed in with excellent advice about each of the kayaks you’re contemplating. And you’ve received suggestions for trying boats other than you have mentioned. All has been great information.

Now here’s another suggestion. You’re an experienced powerboater and angler used to traveling far to catch fish. You also mentioned your grandkids “playing around” presumably in the shallows with your smaller kayaks.

A big advantage of kayak fishing that it lets us also play around in the shallows where large boats cannot go. And guess what? Fish are in the shallows too and sometimes depending on the time of year and the species, they’re large.

So, my point is to look at your new kayak as another way to catch fish. Don’t look at it as a replacement for a deep-water long distance vessel. I think you’ll find that you’ll stay closer to shore than you think on most outings because many worthy and catchable fish do the same.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I thought I had already replied to this thread, but I must have closed the window before posting...

I'm biased towards Hobie, but the other brands mentioned in this thread are also VERY up-to-par, but its hard to beat the Hobie Outback for versatility / fishability / capability. I can say that because there are times when lifting my PA14 into the truck is a TASK, especially fully rigged, and i'm younger than most users on this board. Don't underestimate the necessity/maneuverability of the yak, especially on dry land & loading/unloading!
                        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

+1 on previous thread. I have a PA-12 and an Outback.

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                          2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

McHottie, do you have the Boonedox LG on the PA14?? I would think that it would make loading easier.
                            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I have BLG but not yet installed. I bought it second hand, right about the time of the camo PA hull issue. BDX has since redesigned heavier duty backing plates and a PA specific mounting kit, but I have not bothered with it yet.

My truck sits pretty high, I typically dig the stern into the ground, and pivot the boat around in a sweeping motion to set the bow onto the tailgate from the side. It sounds difficult but if I locate it correctly pre-load, the swivel/pivot part is easy. Hard to explain, but simple to do in person. No wheels/cart involved at all.
                              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                              X