Lighting solutions for night fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting solutions for night fishing

Due to life and work, I would like to set my kayak up for more night fishing. What have you all done to address this? I’d prefer something easy to set up that doesn’t create clutter.

Thanks in advance!
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Yakattak Visipole II with Scotty base mounted on the side of my milk crate, a good headlamp and a bright small maglite that fits into a sheath that attaches to my pfd.

I also have a strip of the Yakattack Nite Stripe going the full length of both sides of the kayak.

IMAG0144_zps25536cd8(2).jpg

https://www.paddlerscove.com/yak-attack-visipole-ii/
    Last edited by rwh; 04-30-2018, 12:32 AM.
    2013 WS Ride 135
    2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

SuperNova LEDs are what I opted for, and I'm really happy with them. They don't meet your criteria for easy setup, but they definitely create zero clutter. Concerning visibility and safety on the water, I think they are one of the better options. Since I rarely get to see myself, I'm basing that on others observations. I've fished with others that have light poles, and they are hard to spot unless you are very close. Reflective tape is really visible, but only if someone is shinning a light at you, which is not a safe bet. A headlamp and flashlight is a good suggestion, since they are directional. It's good to have multiple solutions, don't just count on one. I use my LEDs and keep a headlamp on just in case.

P7210011.jpg
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
        SuperNova LEDs are what I opted for, and I'm really happy with them. They don't meet your criteria for easy setup, but they definitely create zero clutter. Concerning visibility and safety on the water, I think they are one of the better options. Since I rarely get to see myself, I'm basing that on others observations. I've fished with others that have light poles, and they are hard to spot unless you are very close. Reflective tape is really visible, but only if someone is shinning a light at you, which is not a safe bet. A headlamp and flashlight is a good suggestion, since they are directional. It's good to have multiple solutions, don't just count on one. I use my LEDs and keep a headlamp on just in case.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23285[/ATTACH]
        Yeah I always have my headlamp on when I'm fishing in the pre-sunrise hours. It's good to keep close by on foggy days as well, if nothing else for signaling purposes. I got a cheap suction cup mounted battery-powered red/green nav light, and a battery powered 360 light for last year's jbay tournament. They both worked fine though I haven't used them since.

Comment

Are you fishing the bay? lakes, rivers?

if you're night fishing in the bays and ocean coast guard states you'll need a 360 white light and flares.

Comment

Originally posted by kuljc View Post
            Are you fishing the bay? lakes, rivers?

if you're night fishing in the bays and ocean coast guard states you'll need a 360 white light and flares.
            If I launch before dawn, do I need flares besides the 360 light????

Thanks,
            Stan
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I found out that with my Wilderness Ride, a 1 inch CPVC pipe (the PVC pipe is a little to small), is a perect fit. I put a 360 light on top of the pipe, and works like a champ.

Best Regards,
              Stan

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                I found out that with my Wilderness Ride, a 1 inch CPVC pipe (the PVC pipe is a little to small), is a perect fit. I put a 360 light on top of the pipe, and works like a champ.

Best Regards,
                Stan
                My cobbed together Home Depot/West Marine solution. Light is the Atwood LED (bright!). It plunks in any open rod holder and stows below deck. It plugs into extra connectors on the 12v battery when I want "on" and unplugs for "off". Sturdy enough to club a fish too
                Kayak light base.jpg20180515_181511.jpg20180515_181503.jpg
                Last edited by Slough Sleigher; 05-15-2018, 07:16 PM. Reason: add'l images

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                  If I launch before dawn, do I need flares besides the 360 light????

Thanks,
                  Stan
                  No you do not need flares but they are good to have on board, a whistle will suffice. I suggest having a floating vhf kept on your vest also.

Comment

I do some night fishing and opt for a LED flood light in addition to the 360 light. It's honestly kinda creepy out there on the bay at night. It's also very disorienting. Try to make note of a lighted landmark in the distance in case your fish finder goes out. I mount the LED floodlight on a PVC pole and put it in a rod holder such that the flood light illuminates the whole cabin of the kayak. It feels like fishing in daylight other than you can't see much beyond the halo it creates. It's also very visible. They're cheap ebay floodlights that run on 12v.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Slough Sleigher View Post
                      My cobbed together Home Depot/West Marine solution. Light is the Atwood LED (bright!). It plunks in any open rod holder and stows below deck. It plugs into extra connectors on the 12v battery when I want "on" and unplugs for "off". Sturdy enough to club a fish too
                      Wow... So much more professional then mine. As my grown kids would say: "Looks sweet".

Best Regards,
                      Stan

Comment

Thanks Stan! Putting it to use in the morning. Low tide down on the Strand tomorrow is just before sunrise and I need to be ready to fish. BTW, seeing your base location, small world. I'm D-town class of '77. Happy hunting. Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X