Stain Removal on Rotomolded Kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john from md View Post
    Has anyone dared to enter the "chocolate syrup" which is the South River today. I definitely wouln't let that stuff dry on my hull for sure!

I fished out of Homeport Farms launch this morning. The water in Church Creek and the South River outside the creek mouth was tan/brown, but not muddy. The water had about a foot of visibility. I had no problem with a scum line on the kayak. Of course I have a color that does not show stains too easily (green/black camo -- Native calls this "Lizard Lick").

I caught a 12" striper trolling in the river and about 10 fat perch casting to shaded shorelines in the creek. I don't keep fish anyway, but if I did, I would think twice about eating fish from a creek after so much runoff.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by croaker d View Post
      I use magic erasers to get any stains off of my kayaks that acts like it doesn't want to come off. Then I'll go to the good ole soap and after I remove the stains!!! Works great...
      I'm also a huge fan of Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser pads. I can't say enough good things about them. My Ivory Dune Outback shows stains easily, but one Eraser pad dunked in water and the stain comes right off (even if the stain has been there a while).

*BTW, I pressure-cleaned my house's (white) aluminum siding the other day and the stubborn stuff 2,000psi and a brush couldn't get off, an Eraser pad took care of it in one or two wipes.
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I'd hate to have to do all the stains on my siding with a Magic Eraser.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Not a kayak, but made of plastic....my 1986 Honda 350X is white (mostly) plastic fenders and white gas tank (metal/painted).

After a day's riding in the mud/crud I'd have orangish/dark stains from the clay/mud on the pretty white plastic/paint.

I'd wash it (getting the mud/crud off but leaving the stains) first and then get out the Soft Scrub (you know, for sinks/counter tops, etc.) and a clean rag. Pour some Soft Scrub on the rag and being wiping/rubbing the stained areas. It would remove the stains and shine it up. People used to ask me how I kept it looking so clean and new.

I have not tried it on the kayak, the fish don't care.

Comment

Working...
          X