Update, Hobie Vantage Seat Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update, Hobie Vantage Seat Cables

I took my Hobie out today and discovered my seat is no longer able to hold the lean angle of the back. The angle adjustment control on the left armrest keeps slipping until the support cable is even with the attachment point, which left me tilted way to far back. Don’t know if it’s the thicker cable keeping it from locking or if the edges got worn while I worked to get cable back on. Frustrating to say the least. I’m going to tie a couple of lines directly to the bottom and side frame at my desired lean angle. Means I really won’t be able to adjust between high and low position, but cheaper than a $600 seat since the arm adjuster isn’t replaceable.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Dang, that’s got to be disappointing. Come on Hobie, surely you weren’t the first person to try replacing those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Do you switch between the high/low position often? I'm a larger guy and I always stay in LOW.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I’m always in the high position, fake hips make every inch of height important. I did have to go to low once when seas picked up on me unexpectedly.

Mike

Comment

On the super calm waters at 5AM, I can see the high position being better suited for sight casting, and better view in general. Hopefully you get this resolved, i'd almost put a call into Hobie directly, you never know, they may sent you a replacement free of charge and use your input to better the design...
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I ended up deciding on using cam locks and rope. All I’m really looking to do is take some of the pressure off the main support cable so the adjuster doesn’t turn. I’ll let folks know if this works.

Mike

Comment

There are times in life when you are a bonehead and need to fess up, hey I’m a bonehead. I posted on the Hobie forum and the tech guy told me I was winding it the wrong direction. Well, I went and tried it and sure enough you need to wind it so the cable goes under the armrest, not over the top like I was doing and it will lock in place. In my defense, which is as poor as the Redskins third team, there are no directions that come with your piece of cable.

Hopefully someone will recall this faux pas if they are facing this repair
              Mike

Comment

Don’t feel bad Mike...How would you know after a cable failure and no directions with the replacement...not like you disassembled a worn one that was correctly installed...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for sharing this- I went 2 years with my seat cables bungied like yours because I couldn't figure this out! I wish hobie would include a DIY manual for the drives, the seats, and the rudder cables! Not all of us live near a dealer or at least one that does quality repair work in a timely fashion. There is surprisingly little out there in terms of videos or step by step instructions with fixing anything except for the V1 and V2 drives.
                  Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                    Thanks for sharing this- I went 2 years with my seat cables bungied like yours because I couldn't figure this out! I wish hobie would include a DIY manual for the drives, the seats, and the rudder cables! Not all of us live near a dealer or at least one that does quality repair work in a timely fashion. There is surprisingly little out there in terms of videos or step by step instructions with fixing anything except for the V1 and V2 drives.
                    Plus one on that. Hobie makes great performing boats but they are very stingy with their maintenance information.

I once took the drive on my old Revo apart to repair a broken spline -- damage I caused by over tightened a screw. However, I had no guidance for the repair. I took photos as I disassembled the drive labeling the pieces as I progressed.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                      I agree with you, but I believe part of the problem is accessibility to the information. I searched everywhere to find something on how to replace the seat mesh on my Outback and couldn't find it. One message to DPS and they sent me a YouTube link to exactly what I was looking for. I have no idea why I was unable to find it through traditional search methods, but this might be the case for these other repairs mentioned here. Don't be surprised if Hobie has all of these issue documented somewhere, but finding them is the problem. I'm always going to ask my dealer first from here on out.
                      2015 Hobie Outback
                      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                      X