Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Track Cam Cleat mod (anchor trolley)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Track Cam Cleat mod (anchor trolley)...

Gear Track Cam Cleat mod (anchor trolley)...

Why ?
    I don't want anything on top (plastic) or the tracks.. that I can't remove.
    Because I don't want anything larger than pad eyes sticking out as I car top the kayak.
    Same basic reason on the side of the kayak.. I have to drag the kayak sideways to get out the door etc...
    Maybe I will screw to the inside one day.. but didn't like the position.

This is the rough, first mod.. will make it pretty later..
    1/4inch T-Nut not sure available at big box store.. got at Strosniders Hardware..
    Thumb screw.. available most places.
    Black Plastic was from another project but cut from a plastic Tapping Block for installing hardwood flooring strips.
    Rubber plumbing washer to take up the extra length.
    Cam Cleat from Amazoo.. Schaefer Marine 1 and 1/16 inch screw to screw.. $20
    The T-Nuts do spin in the track but tighten up nicely.. wide enough don't come out.
    And whole unit... the important part... removable..

Very nice. I elected to drill into mine to install the trolley, but I think this is a better idea.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I did that on my other kayak.. outside.. but always though it would be better on the inside.. if a wave rolled me over the line might pop out.
      On the Vibe.. the flat area inside is too close to where the pedal lines go. Didn't want to chance a problem.

They way to really go.. is use the large oval track nuts that are supposed to be used for the track.
      I thought for sure I tested the thumb screws at the store to get a fit for the OEM oval nut.
      None of the screws I have in my house fit.. they start to "kink" up quickly.. don't fit.
      The OEM oval nut could very well be metric.. I didn't test any metric screws with it. I should have.
      So a metric thumb screw may fit the OEM nuts.
      I got spare six pack of the of the OEM wing screw and nuts that come with the Vibe for the rear tracks for $10 on Amazoo..
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So if I can find a metric thumb screw.. if that what it takes.. I will replace the T-Nut in there now.
      Also the rubber washer was replaced by a hard plastic washer and a metal washer.
      Work in progress :-)

Comment

I was actually looking at Steve's Torqueedo, he rigged a similar camcleat to raise and lower the unit.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

@mchottie
          if you have a link could you point me to Steve's setup... maybe he has a better solution.
          Another option for the screw/nut would be a toilet bowl screw.. which other have used.
          and come up from the bottom as it were..
          You would have to cut the screw to size.. grind the top smooth... doable.. no biggie.
          And use a wing nut on top.
          "Steve" may have used that.. and a lock nut on top.
          Don't know if his is easily removable.. which is my task.

The generic T-Nut if you search... is round.. has splines to tap into wood..
          others have used and grind down the splines and and grind to fit.

I didn't see it at first at Strosniders... but found the T-Nut that is in the picture.
          I found a number of the Oval Nuts (that woodworkers use for tracks...like the OEM nuts).. that appear to be "standard" 1/4 inch.
          Which may do the trick.. as a replacement that would fit the "standard" thread thumb screw.

I also added little screws to the bottom as "stops" to keep the T-Nut from spinning as it did originally.
          Not sure if that.. of the better plastic (it's actually a very hard rubber) washer and the metal washer on top..
          Did the trick but it now functions really well.
          It's not what I want in the long run... want the larger oval nuts without the tiny "stop" screws..
          Hey.. the Wright Brothers didn't fly on the first day.. I'm getting there.. will work till I get it sorted out.
          Thanks for your input.
          R.

Comment

Looks good. I did the same thing but used the brass nuts from Harmony gear ( a bit pricey but work well & don't spin) https://www.harmonygear.com/products...ng-5-pack.html

I cut 1/4 -20 bolts to length with a Dremmel tool.
            20180822_055105.jpg
            2013 WS Ride 135
            2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

@rwh
              cool ! kinda hard to see in the picture but I understand what you are saying.
              Your oval nuts are brass.. so the cost goes up.. but probably better for a permanent mount.

So I finally found a 1/4 inch oval (rectangular) nut.. similar to the ones on our wing screw/nut that came with the kayak.
              What came with the kayak is an M6 metric.
              So if you order on line something in the kayak stores.. make sure you get metric or standard... to match your project.
              In my case thumb screws are standard thread...

And.. with luck...

https://www.woodpeck.com/rectangularnut.html
              I got them at these guys "Wood Craft"... 10 minutes from my house.

Project done new and improved :-)

Comment

Native makes high quality track slugs with threads to fit stainless steel bolts. They are not cheap, but they hold up well. You would need to verify that the size of the Native track slugs will fit in the Vibe gear track.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...YaAsZtEALw_wcB
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                X