RAM ball mount for tracks breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM ball mount for tracks breaking

The one inch RAM ball mounts for tracks is pure trash...weak, easily breaks in the thin radius...my solution is to go to the 1.5 ball for tracks and the new long arm 1 to 1.5 socket mount for my Hummingbird 798 electronics...I have had three of the one inch mounts break...don’t waste your money on the one inch ball...RAM should make a powder coated aluminum ball mount for tracks...

Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-23-2018, 09:03 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

When I bought me Elite 7Ti during 2017 Black Friday, I did some research and 1.5" ball was HIGHLY recommended...

I think you're not the first nor the last to have this issue!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I've had a bunch break as well. I've found hand tight is best. Anything more than that or anything that can add additional torque just snaps them off. Good to know there is the 1.5in to 1in arm. I'm waiting for the last few 1in balls to break before I upgrade though.
      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

RAM ball mount for tracks breaking

The thin amount of material at the radius where the brass nut is moulded in is less than 1/16th of an inch...very poor engineering, poor design...it is a failure just waiting to happen...found a spare 1 inch ball in my parts bin and have a temporary fix until the new mount is delivered next Monday...but phew! RAM really screwed the pooch on this product..

My order came in to replace the one inch ball mount...took five minutes to swap it out...highly recommend anyone who has the track mount system for mounting a five inch or larger screen fishfinder use this setup...at least twice as sturdy as the one inch track ball...

Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-27-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Took it out yesterday on the Slower Lower...blustery winds were tough...the Hummingbird 798 was rock solid...like it was welded in place...excellent solution to the unreliable one inch Ram track ball...it was wet in the cockpit, but Dave (Mojo) 2017 Camo Outback and I got into Rocktober...we launched shortly after noon at dead low tide...fished until 6 pm..unbelievable number of fish...at the flood tide top water was hot...lots of footballs pulling drag and busting bait...had numerous double headers pulling paddletails...got to fishing just one rod...epic day...good fishing, good company...

Comment

It was a good day, indeed! Sometimes I get so focused on catching “big ones” that I forget how much fun it is pulling in 17-20” fish one after another. And those guys didn’t know how big they were, all of them were fat fighters. Thanks for letting me tag along, Ron!

Doug
            Doug

2017 Hobie Outback

Comment

Forgot to add that the flounder have departed..one little 8-10 inch flattie was all I could manage in the “flounder hole”...

Comment

Don’t forget that RAM has a lifetime warranty! Also made in USA...
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                X