Rough water Hobies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough water Hobies

Recently won a Hobie Compass in a raffle...I noticed that the bow looks lower to the water than my Outback..And in choppy water it “feels” different; it is a nice calm water kayak, fast, roomy and comfortable. The newly redesigned 2019 Outback took a lot of the features of the Compass, some of the features of the Outback, and some of the PA...the bow of the previous series of Outbacks had been criticized for “hull slap.” One thing I have noticed is the new lower gunnels on the Outback...and it has the sleek bow of the Compass...I love most of the new features, but the new Outback is getting hammered for its handling in rough seas and for taking water in the bow hatch...the same hatch as previous models but with redesigned hull...to the credit of Hobie they have come out with a gasket kit that is supposed to improve the seal of the bow hatch they offer free to any 2019 Outback owner...personally, I love the bow of my 2016 Outback and the way it handles rough water...maybe there should be two versions of the Outback...one that incorporates the old bow or a variation thereof but all the other features and the calm water version...and just for the record...my front hatch has never been opened by me...not once...it stays empty...nothing is there...my rear hatch has my battery holder and it gets opened regularly...the center square hatch is my most used hatch...very glad I installed it...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-15-2018, 08:53 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

That's interesting Ron.

Some would say the Compass and new Outback hull is similar to that of the Revolution. Having owned two Revos, one of the things I have enjoyed the most about them is how they handle rough water. The sharp bow and narrow hull slices through waves. Sometimes on larger waves the water rolls over the top of the front hatch cover and sheds to the side or occasionally comes into the cockpit where it drains into the Mirage Drive port.

Also the Revo's hatch cover is convex, not concave like the Outback's. I think that difference in shape may help the Revo to shed breaking water a little better than its Hobie cousin. The gaskets on the front Revo hatch are and have been thick rubber since I owned my first one which was a 2012. I've never had a problem with those gaskets leaking.

It may be overkill but I wipe "Armor All" on the hatch gaskets regularly to keep the rubber supple. I not saying that's why my hull interior stays dry, but I figure it can't hurt.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

i have a 2012 outback and my buddy has a 2017. My 2012 handles rougher waters much better than the newer style. The newer styles seem to sit lower in the front
      Last edited by tony32688; 12-15-2018, 08:36 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Comment

Working...
      X