Can't get mirage drive out of my kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get mirage drive out of my kayak

I bought a brand new Hobie Outfitter this fall. Put it together in my garage, then couldn't get the rear mirage drive to come out. I've tugged and pulled, but so far nothing works. I can't take it back to Backyard Boats, where I bought it, because I can't put it on top of my car with the mirage drive in. Any suggestions?
    Carpe Pisces

Originally posted by Wavy Davy View Post
    I bought a brand new Hobie Outfitter this fall. Put it together in my garage, then couldn't get the rear mirage drive to come out. I've tugged and pulled, but so far nothing works. I can't take it back to Backyard Boats, where I bought it, because I can't put it on top of my car with the mirage drive in. Any suggestions?
    Pull the black tabs on each side of the drive hole rearwards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      Pull the black tabs on each side of the drive hole rearwards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I did that. Worked on the front drive, but not the rear.
      Carpe Pisces

Comment

If the drive is tight in the locking mechanisms, try squirting both sides of the axel with WD-40 and jiggling it a bit to see if that will free their grip.

Make sure that moving the tab indeed releases the lock. You can compare the tabs on the drive that's stuck with the ones that are not.

Also, make sure the fins are properly aligned under the boat to allow them to fit through the drive port.

Lastly, do a search on the Hobie Owners' Forum for "stuck drive".

https://www.hobie.com/forums/

Good luck,
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

........ as Mark said and keep spraying until it releases. Mine did the same thing and after it released it wouldn’t go back in. Had to keep working it until it worked again ok.

Comment

Working...
          X