Broken rods - Any uses for them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken rods - Any uses for them?

I have a couple of broken St. Croix avid rods laying around that I'm hesitant to toss. Both are broken within about a 12 inches of the tip. I cant use them but when I get ready to toss them, I feel like there has to be some use for them.

What does everyone here do with broken rods?
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

E-mail St. Croix and get them replaced... St. Croix's return policy isn't as good as Abu Garcia but it's better than paying full price to replace a higher end rod.
    - Justin
    2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
    2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

You might also try contacting some local rod builders to see if it’s repairable. I’ve used Crazy Horse Custom Rods in Port Republic and was very satisfied with their work.

If that doesn’t work you can jam them in the ground as snow plow markers.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

One of the guys that taught me to fish back in the day builds rods and holds on to stuff like this for repairing other rods, says it's the type of thing you typically need right after throwing it away...
        Last edited by thedutchtouch; 01-07-2019, 02:49 PM.
        -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by jmt1980 View Post
          E-mail St. Croix and get them replaced... St. Croix's return policy isn't as good as Abu Garcia but it's better than paying full price to replace a higher end rod.
          I will second the idea of contacting St Croix about any warranty claims. I have done so several times with broken Premier rods. You send them the broken rod and a check, and they send you a brand new rod. In one case, I was able to upgrade from a Premier to an Avid rod for a bit more money (still much less than a new Avid).

Another option is to put on a new rod tip and continue using the rod, just with a stiffer action and power than before. That type of modified rod can work well for trolling or bottom fishing.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

If you need to replace them then definitely contact the company. You'll more than likely have the option of purchasing a brand new rod of equal value for a discounted price over retail.

Otherwise, you have a new shallow water stakeout pole or some pretty stout garden stakes.
            Brian

Comment

The only use I've managed to use broken rods for is to tie things to the tips of them like a light to put in my rod holder. I know people on the west coast do something called pole poling and fish tide pools with them but haven't really managed to come up with any good ideas that coudldn't be accomplished with a straight stick.

On a side note I wish we could do something like this around our area but haven't been able to think of any valid species to effectively try it on. https://youtu.be/JY_8jUn8iOE?t=139
              Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I will probably cut them down to the closest guide and use them to troll. I also take a bunch a kids fishing once a year at a local pond and I can always use rods that I don't have to worry about being broken.

I did inquire about the trade-in with St. Croix, but after shipping, the discount is negligible. Plus, even if its a model I've used before, I like to feel the rod in my hand before putting money down.
                "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I clean dog hair and pine needles out of the vacuum hose with my broken celilo trout/perch rod

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

You can sell them. A buyer would turn them into St Croix and pay for the replacement.
                    2019 Hobie PA 12
                    2018 Hobie Outback Dune
                    2018 Lifetime Triton Angler 100

Comment

Working...
                    X