Paddle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle Question

I'm really just fishin' for opinions (see what I did there?)...

I recently sold my paddle kayak and upgraded it with a Coosa (specifically for shallow rocky rivers) and I'm in need of a paddle. I've never had a nice paddle (carbon fiber) and I've been looking around for options, I need a 240-250cm, and want a 2 piece. I'm trying to stay under $200 because I feel like there are plenty of nice light options in that range - I like the Werner Tybee, BB Angler Ace, and even the Backwater Assassin (but it looks a little gimmicky to me)... but the weight and price varies a bit across those 3.

Anyone have any experience with those paddles that can give me feedback? Opinions welcome... and suggestions on any decently priced paddle that I may have not seen yet is ALWAYS a plus!
    - Justin
    2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
    2018 Jackson Coosa

I've been using a Werner Skagit Hooked for 3 years now and haven't seen the need to change to anything else.

Comment

I have never used any of the paddles you listed, so I cannot comment on them specifically. As a general rule, the lighter the paddle, the less tired you will be at the end of a trip. But at the same time, the lighter the paddle, the more expensive it is.

Within your budget, look for the lightest weight. Other things to consider are:

- fixed length or sliding length (some models allow 10-20 cm adjustment)
      - shape of blade (reflects your paddling style -- upright or more horizontal)
      - type of shaft connection between halves -- can you easily adjust to different angles
      - construction materials - the blade may be different from the shaft (plastic, fiberglass, aluminum, carbon fiber)
      - warranty
      - color of blade (for safety a lighter color is easier for other boaters to see; if you have black blades, consider adding strips of reflective tape); also within the topic of blade color, do you want a solid color or a patterned blade

About five years ago I upgraded from a fiberglass shafted, plastic bladed paddle to a full carbon Werner paddle. The difference in weight is amazing.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I was fortunate enough to win a Werner Camano at the CBKT a few years ago. It's about 26 ounces. While not the lightest paddle on the market, it's between 4 to 12 ounces lighter than the paddles you mentioned according to specs I found on-line. Four ounces may not sound like much, but it is for a tool that you use repetitively.

I liked the Camano so much I bought a second one for my other paddle kayak so that friends and family who use that boat can enjoy a decent paddle.

I bought it with discount coupons from Austin Canoe and Kayak. Even with free shipping on top of the discount it came out a little over your price point. But in my opinion, worth it.

So, check the specs on your choices and consider their weight when ranking them. Also, consider any discounts a supplier may offer, and use them to upgrade your selection if you can.

Good luck.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the info guys... I haven't looked too hard at paddles with blades for low angle paddling because in a fishing kayak with a raised seat my strokes usually hit the water at the same angle as a high angle stroke...

It's funny how when you actually research paddles you learn things you've been doing wrong... I should probably have been using a low angle paddle in my Moken but it's gone now...
          - Justin
          2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
          2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Working...
          X