Vis/Safety Flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vis/Safety Flags

I recently ordered my new Vibe yellowfin, and now I am going through the process of rigging it. I'm getting all the basics (Milk crate, rod holder for the milk crate, etc. ) And I wanted to know how many people use some sort of flag mounted on the back of their yak. (is it important)? For those that do, how did you mount it? I figured that some sort of pole in the rod holders on the milk crate would be easiest, but I am always curious to hear how other people do things. I figure one extra thing in the air may be the one thing that catches the distracted boaters eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

I use a YakAttack Visi Pole mounted to my rails via a Scotty standup mount. Is it important? To me it is as the better I am seen hopefully some damn weekend warrior or assboat wont run over my butt.

Comment

Carson,

I can tell you from the experience of being on the water with others with flags that they are not as easily seen as some may think.

What is much more visible is the movement of paddles during a normal paddling stroke, especially those who use yellow paddle blades or those who affix high-visibility reflective tape to their paddle blades.

Flags do not move up and down like paddles. Even the orange ones may blend into the background. It's movement that catches my eye rather than a stationary marker.

I'm not saying to disregard the flag. Certainly, it may help make you more visible to others. But if I'm going to try to attract the attention of an oncoming boat, I would not rely on the flag to do the trick. I'd be waving my paddle like crazy.

However, the best advice I can offer is to always assume that no one else on the water sees you in your kayak. Plot your courses on the water accordingly. Stay alert to your surroundings at all times.

I do not use a flag, but if I did I would mount it in a rod holder on my crate as you suggest.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Carson,

I can tell you from the experience of being on the water with others with flags that they are not as easily seen as some may think.

What is much more visible is the movement of paddles during a normal paddling stroke, especially those who use yellow paddle blades or those who affix high-visibility reflective tape to their paddle blades.

Flags do not move up and down like paddles. Even the orange ones may blend into the background. It's movement that catches my eye rather than a stationary marker.

I'm not saying to disregard the flag. Certainly, it may help make you more visible to others. But if I'm going to try to attract the attention of an oncoming boat, I would not rely on the flag to do the trick. I'd be waving my paddle like crazy.

However, the best advice I can offer is to always assume that no one else on the water sees you in your kayak. Plot your courses on the water accordingly. Stay alert to your surroundings at all times.

I do not use a flag, but if I did I would mount it in a rod holder on my crate as you suggest.
        Thanks, Mark. I have a black paddle but will likely Plasti-dip a band of some neon color on the ends. And the mentality of "Everyone wants to run you over" has been very useful when boating, and will definitely transfer over even more to kayaking. Head on a swivel at all times. I will still use a flag, but will keep in mind what you said.
        Annapolis
        2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
        Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonNash View Post
          And I wanted to know how many people use some sort of flag mounted on the back of their yak. (is it important)?
          Depends a lot on the day and the conditions. It's just an extra piece of rigging with some benefits and drawbacks.

Any improvement in visibility is a good thing, but as others have mentioned most flags don't improve your visibility as much as you'd initially think. On a windy day the flags will catch the wind and add to your drag. Also, keep in mind that it may limit your back cast area, and I've snagged my Visi-Pole more than once.

My opinion is that it's best suited for open water where you expect to be fighting wind, drunk boaters are present, and don't need to make frequent long-distance casts. If I'm fishing on a pond or lake, chances are good that it stays in my tackle box.
          I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          Garmin Echomap 93sv
          RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

As Mark noted, having visible paddle blades allows you to be seen from a long distance. My first paddles had yellow blades. When I upgraded to carbon fiber paddles, my blades were black. I added strips of yellow tape and white reflective tape to both sides of each paddle. Not long after doing that, I loaned my paddle to a buddy who had left his at home. I could see him more than a mile way as the paddle blades rose and fell with each stroke.

If you want to use a flag -- go for it If you plan to be on the water in the dark, a pole-mounted light is a great way to comply with the lighting requirements. But in my opinion, the most visible part of you and your kayak is the moving paddle blades that catch the light.

004.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
              ...Also, keep in mind that it may limit your back cast area, and I've snagged my Visi-Pole more than once...
              I do not use a flag, but like many of us I store rods vertically behind my seat:

P1030160.jpg P1030617.jpg

I don't snag my rods on my backcasts even when I fly fish. I cast right handed. The vast majority of my casts naturally travel to the left of my bow. Occasionally I'll turn to the right and send a cast in that direction. But the important thing for me to remember as Huntrava implied is to never cast directly over my bow which sometimes requires restraint if I see rising fish in front of my kayak. As long as my rod tip points even a degree or two to the left or right of the bow it's darned near impossible to snag those upright rods behind my seat.

Back to the issue at hand, here's a look at how John Rentch marks his paddles:

P1030629.jpg
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

I'm in a bright orange camo kayak, with white paddles, but just to keep my parents, who are convinced a boat is going to run me over, happy, I got a $6 bike flag and stick it into one of my tool sleeves in my crate bag behind my seat.
                Adam

Anagennisi- 2017 FeelFree Moken 12.5- Orange Camo

Comment

I like the reflective tape on the paddles. However, what if you use a pedal drive?? I feel that anything you can do can only help. Personally I am right handed so I keep my ViSi Pole over my left shoulder. This keeps it out of my casting area. I also agree that you have to keep your head on a swivel while on the water. I see guys out there kayaking with earphones in listening to music. How can you hear a boat coming up from behind???
                  2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                    I like the reflective tape on the paddles. However, what if you use a pedal drive??
                    That's definitely is an issue.

Hobie put reflective tape on the back of my seat, the rudder mechanism, the fronts of my pedals and my paddle shaft. Still, I think the best thing is to rely on your own eyes and ears and to not hope that someone else sees you.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

I like the reflective tape on the paddles. However, what if you use a pedal drive?? I feel that anything you can do can only help. Personally I am right handed so I keep my ViSi Pole over my left shoulder. This keeps it out of my casting area. I also agree that you have to keep your head on a swivel while on the water. I see guys out there kayaking with earphones in listening to music. How can you hear a boat coming up from behind???
                      When using my pedal drive kayak, I store the two paddles halves behind my seat. If I see an oncoming boat that is headed in my direction, I can reach back and grab a paddle half, then wave it wildly back and forth. Sadly, not all boaters are paying good attention at all times -- as others have noted, it is prudent to pay attention and be prepared to get out of the way quickly.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I run a yakattack visicarbon pole mounted to rear h-rail on my PA.

I've also seen other rig larger & more reflective flags to the pole once its extracted to full size and mounted on the boat.
                        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Remember this incident last summer near Thomas Point?

https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/...817-story.html

Maybe if the sail was orange like a VISIPole flag it would have helped.

Seriously, the above story shows the chance we all take in open water. There's no substitute for paying attention to your surroundings and even then you have to hope the other guy is paying attention too.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Absolutely Mark, there is no quick/easy fix for boats on 'autopilot' or getting up on plane with pilots not paying enough attention... I'm not specifically talking about the T.P. incident, just in general...

P.S. did anything ever come of / was anything published regarding D.N.R. findings of that incident?

This Columbia River collision is the one that always sticks in my memory:

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

You're a troller...how often do you really cast!
                              2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                              2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                              X