Minivan to Pick-Up Truck for Yak Hauling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minivan to Pick-Up Truck for Yak Hauling

After dropping my Outback several times trying to car-top the yak on my wife’s Odyssey minivan, I finally decided to buy a truck (Honda Ridgeline) specifically to haul my yak. I previously used the minivan for nine years.

I’m over 60 yrs and not a big guy, so lifting the 88-pound yak is much easier placing it on the bed extender (BooneDox T-bone) and sliding it onto the 5-ft bed.

After buying the truck two and a half years ago, I finally figured out the strapping, tail lighting, locking, etc. I took the truck/yak out on its first trip last week, after not fishing for nearly 10 months.

Bottom line: I can’t say the truck is better.

The truck bed is low, so I don’t have to lift the front yak high. But it takes longer to load up. I have to install the extender (& add locks), add tail-lights & flag, and add more straps/bungees. I don’t have to install taillights and flag on the minivan.

The truck is not as roomy and convenient as the minivan. I can easily load up the minivan with my rods, crate, yak accessories, etc. I don’t have to stack things too, so everything is pretty much readily available in the minivan. The truck has a trunk, and that’s been useful.

The truck does not handle as well on the interstate. With the low CG and longer wheelbase, the minivan is noticeably more responsive, smoother, quiet, and assured.

One big benefit that I have yet to experience is the ability to quickly load the yak on the truck and move to another fishing location without having to remove and reinstall many fishing accessories.

I miss the minivan already, but maybe time will tell. The value of not lifting the yak high (and having potential drops) may outweigh the negatives of the truck.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

The beauty of the truck is never having to remove anything from your boat ever. Mine stays completely rigged and ready to go, just throw it in the back, one strap over the middle, and away I go. My boat has lights on the rear so I just flip those on for night driving, otherwise I don’t bother. I appreciate that you take the extra caution and care to obey the law to a T, but if someone hits your boat in the day time lights or a flag was not going to make the difference. The driver at fault was obviously distracted. Now whether you would own some liability in the event of an accident I don’t know. Point being, if you’re going to go through all the trouble of doing it the right way, figure out an easier way. Clipping a small bike light to the rear somewhere should take less than 5 seconds. Tying down your boat in the back of a truck should take no more 30 seconds. Find ways to be more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Does law require lights? I was under the impression it only required flags. If you mounted a flag to the ends of the boondox and just left it there you would satisfy the flag requirement, and along the same line of thought you could put trailer lights on the ends of the T-Bone and run the hookups down and leave it permanently installed to make things faster.

Like Silas said, you shouldn't have to tear down your kayak to use the truck bed.

That being said, I tend to load up the night before so I don't leave my electronics/rods/tackle on the kayak overnight... but I can get to a ramp and be on the water in less than 10 mins (depending on walk) even if I have to hookup all my electronics and move my tackle to the yak.
      - Justin
      2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
      2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

tufnik,

Thank you for your thoughts.

Your storage issues with the truck are those I have anticipated as I contemplate the switch from a van to a pickup for transporting my boats. I too have been spoiled with the roominess and the security of the back my mini-van (with the rear seat lowered) for the years I've been kayak fishing. Last year I bought suspended rod holders to keep my spinning rods rigged and ready and off the van's floor. I also hang my PFD and my dry pants (in season) off the suspended rod holders. That saves even more floor space. I still lay my fly rods on the floor. I can lay out fully strung 9 foot rods by putting them in the center of the floor. Carrying rods ready-to-fish does save time at the launch.

It's just the lifting that is starting to bother me. (My Medicare card goes into effect next month.) I don't want to wrench my back. I use a roller device in the back of the van to assist during the lift and that helps. Once the boat is up there, it's easy to strap it down, a minute or so is all that takes and I'm on my way.

You're also right that today's vans are really comfortable. Nice smooth ride and with my satellite radio and Blue Tooth I don't mind the 60 to 70 mile trips to ES ponds in the slightest. There were days after chasing pickerel this winter when the heated seats were also very welcome on the ride home.

So, I'm on the fence about a switch. If I bought a truck it would be a cheap used one without the comfort options of my van. It would be a second vehicle primarily to knock around in locally and to carry my kayaks.

Four of my kayak fishing buddies use pickups. I envy their short lift when we come back to the launch. As John suggests, they've found the best ways for their situations.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Been hauling my Outback in the Colorado for almost 2.5 years and I will never go back... I specifically got the midsize truck with the longest bed so I wouldn't need the extender. I even have a Native 14.5' tandem that I've hauled in it without the extender.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I currently drive a Toyota Sienna. Before that I drove a Honda Odyssey. I completely avoid lifting to the roof by creatively moving the seats and sliding either my 10' Slayer Propel 10 pedal kayak or my Manta Ray 11 paddle kayak inside, then closing the door.

The cons are: nobody can sit in any of the other seats, and I am limited to an 11' kayak, given that my front passengers seat does not lay completely flat. But if I had to roof top my kayaks, I would not go nearly as often as I do now.

006.jpg 2003-08-01 00-00-15.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My wife drives a mini-van and we as a family absolutely love that vehicle. There is nothing as versatile as a mini-van. However, comparing a van to a truck for the specific purpose of kayak transport, the truck wins in virtually every category, especially if your kayak is pushing 12’ or longer, which is every open bay worthy kayak in my opinion. Now I suppose whether the truck is 2-door vs 4-door makes some difference as far as storage capacity, but with how I roll and my kayak fully rigged and ready to go, there is nothing to store but maybe a cooler. I think if you tweak your truck system a little you will start to see the positives and fewer negatives.

2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Just got a Used Honda Ridgeline 2018. I have done the ES for a trip last week and the ST Mary's River a few days before that. Man I've been waiting on this for two years, NO Trailer, No car top.

The handling of the Ridgeline is smooth and very quiet. I use the T-Bone bed extender and it helps me to load so much easier. Just put down some indoor/outdoor carpet and slide it in. Yak is now just about fully rigged when loaded for the day.

I would recommend to anyone getting into kayak fishing to explore the mid-size pick-up trucks. Loved my Subaru, but it was not built for what I was using it for.

Yak67
                2017 Hobie PA-12
                2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

I have a Toyota 2013 Tacoma and have ferried both a Native Slayer10 and a Ultimate 12 in the back. I placed an indoor/outdoor rug in the back for easier sliding in and out. I just life the bow onto the gate then slide it to the front of the bed. I use two rope straps to secure it to the gate catches. On either side I will place my rods (handles to the front), and my cart on the other side. Then turn my bed cover down so nothing will fly out. My Ultimate extends out 4 ft, so I tie an old red flag on the back. Never had any trouble on trips, have made several to Delaware ponds over 1 1/2 hours away. The midsize is perfect for me.
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    I currently drive a Toyota Sienna. Before that I drove a Honda Odyssey. I completely avoid lifting to the roof by creatively moving the seats and sliding either my 10' Slayer Propel 10 pedal kayak or my Manta Ray 11 paddle kayak inside, then closing the door.

The cons are: nobody can sit in any of the other seats, and I am limited to an 11' kayak, given that my front passengers seat does not lay completely flat. But if I had to roof top my kayaks, I would not go nearly as often as I do now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25135[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]25136[/ATTACH]
                    I have been thinking about buying an older used minivan for the express purpose of using it as my Mobile Fishing Command Center. I also have a Slayer 10 and being able to store the yak + rigging in the van year round would make me far far more likely to take it out on a moment's notice in addition to freeing up some space in my home "office". Can you let me know what model year both of your vans are/were? Taking a tape measure to a dealership would give me most of the info but yaks are oddly shaped enough that having a few known "it will fit" vehicles to start with would help motivate me a lot to put my plan into action.
                    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                      I have been thinking about buying an older used minivan for the express purpose of using it as my Mobile Fishing Command Center. I also have a Slayer 10 and being able to store the yak + rigging in the van year round would make me far far more likely to take it out on a moment's notice in addition to freeing up some space in my home "office". Can you let me know what model year both of your vans are/were? Taking a tape measure to a dealership would give me most of the info but yaks are oddly shaped enough that having a few known "it will fit" vehicles to start with would help motivate me a lot to put my plan into action.

My first minivan was a 2003 Odyssey. Since the front passenger seat folded all the way flat, I could slide kayaks in easily. My current minivan is a 2015 Sienna. The seat does not fold all the way flat, so the nose of the kayak sticks up in the air a bit. With a strongly sloped windshield, I am limited to 11 feet kayak length unless I flip the kayak upside down so the slope of the bow matches the slope of the windshield. I was able to insert Mark's 12' Ultimate as a test of that capability.

I set up my minivan as follows.

- 2nd row left - slide seat forward as far as it will go
                      - 2nd row right - remove seat completely and store in basement for those rare times when I need to handle more than 3 persons.
                      - 3rd row - both sides fold flat into the floor.
                      - front row right - slide as far forward as it will go, remove headrest, tilt seat back as far as it will go. I lay a carpet runner over the reclined front seat to protect the upholstery.

The 10' kayak slides straight in on the passenger side. The 11' kayak slides in diagonally from the left rear to the right front. There is plenty of room for rods and other gear on the floor.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

An 8 foot bed with a quad cab addresses most of those issues.

I have a 6.5 foot bed F150 and I don’t need a truck bed extender for my 2019 Hobie Outback.

Comment

Good to hear many of your insights/tips; all for good reasons.

I’ve heard stories of people getting things stolen from their unattended truck beds. So, except for the yak/paddle (with lock) on the bed, I like to secure everything inside the vehicle. I’ve done many overnight stays in hotels.

Mark,
                          I don’t use rod holders. The rods (6.5 or 7’) fit fine in the truck. Ends are on the dashboard with the tips resting on the folded-up back seat. And you’re right. Once the yak is on top of the minivan, strap-on is quick.

Oh, another benefit is that I have slept comfortably lying down in a sleeping bag in the minivan while everything is secure within the vehicle. Of course, the yak is secured on the cartop. I’ve done overnights in the minivan many times on two-day fishing trips.

Justin,
                          After reading law and code for VA, MD and DE, and heeding snaggedline-posted advice and guidance from numerous yakers with trucks regarding flags and lights on extended loads, I’ve done the following:
                          - Added flag.
                          - Added bicycle lights to the yak. See pic. As you can see, I used scrap wood, two bike lights, stainless steel plate, and a bungee. The assembly is quickly attached to the rudder using a single bungee.

I frequently fish at Virginia Beach, and the round trip is 8-9 hours. So, the minivan’s handling, smooth ride, and comfort can’t be beat.

Having used the minivan for years, and for my priorities, I come to appreciate the minivan over the truck in terms of handling, comfort, roominess, and convenience. Since I have the truck, I’ll use it…lol.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I actually made the opposite move, switching from hauling by truck to hauling by minivan once the kids were grown and the truck became a Civic for the Mrs. a few years ago. Seemed like a raw deal at first, but I'll never go back. My reason is that a lift assist device like a Hullavator can make loading very reasonable and the comfort and security of the minivan for all else is as others have described and then some for me.

I keep my rear seat folded flat into the floor and have removed the middle row so that I essentially have a small cargo van. I almost always have it set up with a cot on one side that enables storage below and the ability to sleep virtually anywhere I can park overnight. I use a lot of Walmart lots. I have some black canvas cloth that I use to cover the windows and block those bright lights. When sleeping, I also run a black shower curtain behind the front seats that makes for a completely private rear compartment. I generally have fishing and kayak gear under the back half of the cot and wheels, clothes and a hibachi under the front. Half inch PVC run between each of the pairs of handles at the ceiling in the back and some small bungies at the top of the back door make for good rod storage. I haven't broken a rod or rod tip since I started doing that a couple years ago. These things have evolved over time similar to your kayak rigging.

Many of us would say that planning a fishing trip is often as fun as the event. Minivan camping adds planning elements of looking for where to safely park and where to find shower of some sort when possible. The end goal is always to be able to have great adventures on gas money. I've had many cheap adventures these last few years since giving up my truck for my wife's comfort. Turned out to be a wonderful unexpected blessing for me. This also works very well because I have a wife who likes how happy it all makes me and so doesn't mind that I fish a lot.
                            Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
                            2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Originally posted by LivinTheDream View Post
                              I actually made the opposite move, switching from hauling by truck to hauling by minivan once the kids were grown and the truck became a Civic for the Mrs. a few years ago. Seemed like a raw deal at first, but I'll never go back. My reason is that a lift assist device like a Hullavator can make loading very reasonable and the comfort and security of the minivan for all else is as others have described and then some for me.

I keep my rear seat folded flat into the floor and have removed the middle row so that I essentially have a small cargo van. I almost always have it set up with a cot on one side that enables storage below and the ability to sleep virtually anywhere I can park overnight. I use a lot of Walmart lots. I have some black canvas cloth that I use to cover the windows and block those bright lights. When sleeping, I also run a black shower curtain behind the front seats that makes for a completely private rear compartment. I generally have fishing and kayak gear under the back half of the cot and wheels, clothes and a hibachi under the front. Half inch PVC run between each of the pairs of handles at the ceiling in the back and some small bungies at the top of the back door make for good rod storage. I haven't broken a rod or rod tip since I started doing that a couple years ago. These things have evolved over time similar to your kayak rigging.

Many of us would say that planning a fishing trip is often as fun as the event. Minivan camping adds planning elements of looking for where to safely park and where to find shower of some sort when possible. The end goal is always to be able to have great adventures on gas money. I've had many cheap adventures these last few years since giving up my truck for my wife's comfort. Turned out to be a wonderful unexpected blessing for me. This also works very well because I have a wife who likes how happy it all makes me and so doesn't mind that I fish a lot.
                              Ditto on it's versatility. You're making me want to go back to the minivan.

(Hmmm...sell the truck......buy a hullavator... go back to the nice and faithful minivan...lol)

Comment

Working...
                              X