Slayer Propel Drive Noise while peddaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slayer Propel Drive Noise while peddaling

Over the past 6 or so trips out with my Slayer Propel 10, I've been hearing a loud clicking sound when my left leg is almost fully extended.

I've done all the usual checks/maintenance; lubed both upper and lower gear sets but didn't see anything amiss. I've pulled the crank arms out and reinstalled. When I get back on the water, the clicking sound is still there. It usually does not occur until I apply moderate to fast pedaling, 2-3.5mph. I can't recreate the sound when out of water or in pool as there is not enough room to get up to speed.

Any ideas? I can't tell if its coming from the thwart tube latches or drive latch in the center as I can't get my ear close enough at that speed....plus, I don't hear so well! But I do hear the clicking sound and its fairly annoying when I want to just have a quiet day fishing and trolling.

Thanks!
    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Mike -

Some of the Propel drives do make noises after a while. I am not an expert on which noise relates to which cause. Plus, other than lubrication several times each year, I personally do not disassemble and reassemble the components of my Propel.

There is a lot of discussion about this on several Native-specific Facebook pages,. https://www.facebook.com/groups/231976636990928/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/slayerpropel/.

Native does a good job on warranty work. Their warranty on Propel drives lasts for two years, and service must be done through a dealer.

I suggest that you read through those Facebook pages. You may find a self-fix solution. If not, and if your Propel is still under warranty, have the dealer take a look at it.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thank you John. I will definitely check that out. As luck would have it, my kayak is 2 years and 4 months old.

Agreed. Disassembling the upper gear set was a bear. No more. Just as easy to lube through the hole. I'm convinced the sound is somewhere simple; just haven't found it yet. It doesn't cause any issues other than the sound. Still love my Slayer.
      Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
        Thank you John. I will definitely check that out. As luck would have it, my kayak is 2 years and 4 months old.

Agreed. Disassembling the upper gear set was a bear. No more. Just as easy to lube through the hole. I'm convinced the sound is somewhere simple; just haven't found it yet. It doesn't cause any issues other than the sound. Still love my Slayer.
        I disassembled everything when I had this issue on mine. I cleaned out all the grease, air hosed and all. I filled up all the cavities with 80W90 gear oil. The tolerances are so tight you will never leak it out. It also makes the drive quieter and smoother. You should really consider this. Just dont do what I did and put the crank sprocket on backward... (forward pedal resulted in going backwards and vice versa, that was a leg workout fishing that day LOL)
        Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Congratulations.

You're the first example of successful snakehead trolling I've heard of.

Personal bests on a kayak-
        Bass - 18.5''
        Striper - 22.5"
        Snakehead - 28"

Comment

80/90 is an incredible idea. I tore mine (I think it's a 201) down 2 years ago. Getting it apart wasn't (lots of pb nut blaster)easy but I used a hydraulic press to pop out the bearings on the hubs which worked like a charm. I'm using a green water proof grease on my gears and in the hub bearings after fiddling with the seals. I also used plumber tape on most of the threaded parts to keep the threads from seizing.

If its clicking on the stroke I wonder if it's the tube connection. Hard to imagine it coming loose but maybe it wasn't torqued enough during assembly.
          PigPen - Mt Airy
          Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
          X