VHF Radio/PFD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHF Radio/PFD

What VHF radios are you guys using out on your kayaks. Im also looking for a more comfortable PFD. What are you guys/gals recommendations.

I believe a lot of us use Standard Horizon brand VHF radios. But there are many makers that produce good units. West Marine has a store brand that's very functional. You can get a basic model that receives and transmits to others that float and have a strobe light, channel scanning, GPS, etc.

Paddling PFDs have a high back so that it doesn't interfere with your seat while paddling. I currently use an NRS Chinook PFD. It's comfortable and has a moderate number of pockets for storage...mostly to hold energy bars for me. But others use them to store gear almost like a fly fishing vest. Prior to my Chinook, I used an Ascend paddlers PFD from Bass Pro that served me very well.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      I believe a lot of us use Standard Horizon brand VHF radios. But there are many makers that produce good units. West Marine has a store brand that's very functional. You can get a basic model that receives and transmits to others that float and have a strobe light, channel scanning, GPS, etc.

Paddling PFDs have a high back so that it doesn't interfere with your seat while paddling. I currently use an NRS Chinook PFD. It's comfortable and has a moderate number of pockets for storage...mostly to hold energy bars for me. But others use them to store gear almost like a fly fishing vest. Prior to my Chinook, I used an Ascend paddlers PFD from Bass Pro that served me very well.
      Mark,

Thanks for the good information. I will check them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out the site The GPS Store. They have a Horizon for about $100 with a $20 mail in rebate.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard...VHF-P5524.aspx
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
          Check out the site The GPS Store. They have a Horizon for about $100 with a $20 mail in rebate.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard...VHF-P5524.aspx
          Thanks boss

Comment

I had ICom radios, main complaint was the voice quality...went to Standard Horizon...no complaints at all...and I wear the Hobie inflatable PFD...very comfortable, especially in hot weather...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Like Mark, I also use the Chinook and Standard Horizon VHF. The Chinook is the most comfortable PFD I've owned, and I have no complaints about the VHF.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Check the NRS website. They currently have last years Chinook PFD at closeout price. Sizes and colors are limited though.
                "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I use the West Marine $160 and believe it will go neck and neck with the Standard Horizon. The only thing missing is the thermometer and my FF has that.

I use a triangular fishing PFD for paddlers. It has pockets for my flares and radio and other stuff and works really well. I also have inflatables but they have no storage so I only use them on protected waters.
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I use 2 different VHF radios, my original West Marine VHF75 for when I am close to shore or with other friends. When I am going out farther into the bay and I am alone I use a Standard Horizon HX870 which is a gps/dsc radio.. I have owned two different PFD's originally an MTI Solaris, now a NRS Chinook both I consider work well on a kayak.

Comment

I can vouch for the Horizon...I feel much safer on the water with it. If you are by yourself, ask for a radio check and someone will respond.
                      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                      2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
                        I can vouch for the Horizon...I feel much safer on the water with it. If you are by yourself, ask for a radio check and someone will respond.
                        My SH has excellent range -- which can be annoying if there is a lot of chatter on 68. I think there is a way I can power it down but I haven't touched the settings in a while. I've heard radio checks and general discussions occurring in Kent Narrows while I'm in the Severn and even transmissions as far away as the Patapsco. Also, I commonly hear the Annapolis water taxis report their locations and passenger numbers.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Reduce your Squelch settings to local level only...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I just got a Astral Ronny Fisher PFD from REI for $100 that I really like, very comfortable.

Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

Working...
                            X