Truck Bed – How Much Yak Overhang?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Bed – How Much Yak Overhang?

My truck has a 5-ft bed. With the tailgate down, the bed extends to a little over 6 feet. My Outback is 12’ 1”, which leaves an overhang of about 6 feet. That is, the yak extends beyond the tailgate about 6 feet. I currently use a Boonedox T-bone extender to support the yak.

1) Is it okay to NOT use the T-bone? Is the 6 foot overhang without the T-bone Ok? I could strap the bow down snugly so that the yak stern does not drop downward. How much overhang is Ok? Should it be greater than 50% of yak length? Recommend it be less than 50%?

Never seen this before, but maybe use a 4-5' long wood platform (2-3 ft wide) to be placed under the yak for support? The platform would extend a foot or so beyond the tailgate. It would act as an "extended tailgate?"

2) Anyone mount the yak on the roof of a truck? You would have to pull the yak up to the bed, and then pull it on to the roof rack (maybe use a Thule slipstream to assist). Too much trouble? I’m just thinking it might be an alternative so that I don’t need to mess with the bed extender.
    Last edited by tufnik; 06-25-2019, 10:18 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I have an F-150 with 5.5 foot bed and don't use a bed extender with my Hobie Outback, but use one for my Jackson Cuda 14. I feel secure driving with an almost 1/2 kayak length overhang. It's all a matter of tiedown points in your bed and use of good ratchet straps.
    John B

Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)
    Hobie Outback (Papaya)
    Jackson Coosa (Forest Camo)

Comment

I have a Ford Ranger-it has standard 6 foot bed- with tailgate down a tad over 92 inches...and I have made an 8’ kayak cradle using 2-8’ four by four landscaping timbers covered by indoor/outdoor carpet, and two 5/4 deck boards that are secured with deck screws into the landscaping timbers that straddle the wheel well in the bed of the truck...locks the cradle in place...that my Outback slides up and into...very secure setup...no extender needed...
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-27-2019, 11:19 AM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I current have a 2019 Outback and haul it in my 5’6” Chevy Silverado short box without an extender. At one point or another over the past few years, I’ve hauled the PA 14 and Revo 13, also without an extender. The PA 14 was a little sketch, but with straps from the stern handle to the truck, it was good to go. I’ve experienced no issues with haul dents/bends or “bouncing” if I hit a bump.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Cool. Looks like I can leave the T-bone at home on my next fishing trip.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I really, really tried not to respond with a wise a$$ comment
            but seriously, What's up with all the micro beds? currently have 2 pickups, 8' beds and the last 5 were 8'.
            I had ONE short bed dodge 20 years ago,, never again. what is the attraction to a micro bed? it limits a truck in so many ways.

Slack
            Captian of the plastic Navy
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Slack,

They sell them because people buy them. Same reason you have so many varieties of kayaks and canoes.
              Last edited by gtrfan; 06-27-2019, 12:51 PM.
              John B

Hobie Outback (Papaya)

Comment

This is an interesting thread to me. Not right now, but my next vehicle is going to be a pickup (maybe around the 1st of the year). I will be hauling my Revo 13 in it, and my wife's Ascend 10T. Thanks for the info.
                2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

So I have to ask, as you go through the process of picking out a truck,, Why would you choose anything less than a 8' bed?
                  I see all the trucks around daily,, 90% are short or micro beds,, I am just not getting it? The additional 2' of an 8' over a short bed, does not effect driving or parking in any form what so ever, But a short bed makes the "truck" near useless as a "truck",, cant fit drywall, plywood, studs, round bails, goose neck for stock trailer, "kayak" or canoe, on and on. I see people who go to unbelievable lengths attempting to make their micro or short bed function like a pick up truck.
                  Like I said, I had ONE short bed over 20 years ago,, never, ever again.

Slack

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
                  This is an interesting thread to me. Not right now, but my next vehicle is going to be a pickup (maybe around the 1st of the year). I will be hauling my Revo 13 in it, and my wife's Ascend 10T. Thanks for the info.
                  1 - Mad River Canoes
                  1- Tarpon 120
                  1- Redfish 10
                  1- Coosa HD
                  2- Cuda 12
                  1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Maybe some of us don’t have to overcompensate by getting a longer bed.
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Slack,

The 8' bed does add length to the vehicle if you want to have a crew cab, so parking is effected. The longer truck will not fit in my garage. Why is the bed length of everyone's truck such an important topic for you?
                      Why do you have a 10' kayak when the extra 2' of your other kayaks doesn't effect paddling?
                      John B

Hobie Outback (Papaya)

Comment

That's them boys destroying their diesel trucks by jacking them up,, mine are low to the ground LOL
                        Besides, I been married 30 years,, swinging it around and worrying who's is bigger is of no concern to me these days

I all seriousness, I am curious of the thought process or rational when buying a truck as far as bed size.

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                        Maybe some of us don’t have to overcompensate by getting a longer bed.
                        1 - Mad River Canoes
                        1- Tarpon 120
                        1- Redfish 10
                        1- Coosa HD
                        2- Cuda 12
                        1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

OK, I got a legit answer, wont fit in the garage.

The 10' kayak is for pond hopping,,, I can run through the woods with it when caught trespassing

Originally posted by gtrfan View Post
                          Slack,

The 8' bed does add length to the vehicle if you want to have a crew cab, so parking is effected. The longer truck will not fit in my garage. Why is the bed length of everyone's truck such an important topic for you?
                          Why do you have a 10' kayak when the extra 2' of your other kayaks doesn't effect paddling?
                          1 - Mad River Canoes
                          1- Tarpon 120
                          1- Redfish 10
                          1- Coosa HD
                          2- Cuda 12
                          1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

My Ranger is a smaller truck, period..like a Toyota or a Colorado...it is a niche vehicle, gets better gas mileage than a F-150, 90% of the capacity of an F150...and I use it for everything you use a pickup truck for...hauled two full loads of composted horse manure as organic fertilizer for my garden and two full loads of mulch...hauls sheets of plywood, lumber, fill dirt and crushed rock..and I put the Outback cradle in and haul my kayak...at highway speed for hours...
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have to admit, I do miss any sort of gas millage that you would get with a smaller truck. my current trucks are a 2001 F250SD extra 8' and a 2008 F350 Dually Crew, 8' V10,, they will pass anything but a gas station

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                              My Ranger is a smaller truck, period..like a Toyota or a Colorado...it is a niche vehicle, gets better gas mileage than a F-150, 90% of the capacity of an F150...and I use it for everything you use a pickup truck for...hauled two full loads of composted horse manure as organic fertilizer for my garden and two full loads of mulch...hauls sheets of plywood, lumber, fill dirt and crushed rock..and I put the Outback cradle in and haul my kayak...at highway speed for hours...
                              1 - Mad River Canoes
                              1- Tarpon 120
                              1- Redfish 10
                              1- Coosa HD
                              2- Cuda 12
                              1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
                              X