Clear All

• Solo Skiff Rigging!

Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

I have recently seen two of these while working at SPSP. I spoke to the owner of one and he filled me in on his. I forget what kind of engine he has on the back but he says it is loud. The engine is mounted high and I'm wondering if the exhaust is not under water. I forget the motor size but he says it gets something like 20 MPH. You sit on a box just in front of the motor so I guess it would get noisy.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

John,

He must have a 2 stroke. I’ve used mine with a 4 stroke and you could talk to someone sitting on the bow while your steering the boat and running it at full speed. 2 strokes are just too loud for this application in my opinion.

I have a 4 stroke 6 horse on mine.
      Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
      Mercury 6hp
      Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Maybe. It was a Tohatsu 4 or something like that. I'm not familiar with small gas outboards and thought that two strokes had gone away.
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Looks cool man I’m sure that will be fun. I was browsing them the other day and came across this guys page, could be of some help.

http://bvipirate.com/SoloSkiffRigging/

Comment

Originally posted by Fish123 View Post
            Looks cool man I’m sure that will be fun. I was browsing them the other day and came across this guys page, could be of some help.

http://bvipirate.com/SoloSkiffRigging/
            Wow that guy has some creative/inventive mounting & rigging ideas. I'd love to add a Skif to my stable.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Don't forget how much it weighs. The two I saw at Sandy Point both have trailers.
              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                Don't forget how much it weighs. The two I saw at Sandy Point both have trailers.

Quick search via LeGoogle, Skiff is 150lbs 14'5 LOA, PA14 is less, only 120lbs 13'8 LOA.

I think I could do it with my truck (8' bed) and a tBone extender (no trailer). I don't use the tBone right now with the PA, just orient it diagonally and double ratchet straps tie-down.

You do have a good point, and I know there are guys that trailer their PA14s.
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                X