6 months of use review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months of use review

I am a hard head...takes facts to move me off the go button. I read all the glowing reports about lithium batteries...how much lighter, last many times longer, holds power until discharged, does not hurt them to completely discharge them...yada, yada, yada...but the costs held me back...three times the costs of lead acid sealed batteries...so when I installed a 7 inch Hook 2-7TS unit back in January, I bit the bullet and ordered a Dakota 12v10ahr LiFePo4 battery..the main reason I went with the Dakota over others was the physical size...it fits the Hobie battery holder I had in Lady Luck perfectly....so now it has been on dozens of four-five hour fishing trips...I have it on charge right now after three trips without being charged..a word of caution- you cannot use a regular battery charger for lithium batteries...gotta be a lithium charger...I use a Battery Tender 750 mahr lithium charger that came with a 12v4 ahr lithium battery- works great. So my review? Yeah...the advertised claims are confirmed...and the $99 investment once made seems pretty reasonable for the reliability of no matter how long you fish on any weekend the battery is good to go...
    Ps- I am also completely satisfied with the Hook2-7TS unit...it is the best unit I have ever used..
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-30-2019, 09:51 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

As someone who used to catch flak at the mention of using lithium batteries it's good to see others are coming around to the benefit of them. I have been using them for awhile with the Nocqua's being my main ones for my fishfinder and lights. Now with stepping up to using a Lowrance HDS Live unit coupled with a Point One Compass I needed to step the size batteries need to continue to give me the long run time I am used to. The Dakotas are a really good battery but for the size I was looking for A. they haven't quite come out with but will this month B. their pricing @ $389.00 I found elsewhere slightly larger @ $159.00 so I ordered, received and am really happy it's quality.

So if anyone is looking then take a look at this product also....

https://energizedoutdoors.com/collec...ifepo4-battery

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
      As someone who used to catch flak at the mention of using lithium batteries it's good to see others are coming around to the benefit of them. I have been using them for awhile with the Nocqua's being my main ones for my fishfinder and lights. Now with stepping up to using a Lowrance HDS Live unit coupled with a Point One Compass I needed to step the size batteries need to continue to give me the long run time I am used to. The Dakotas are a really good battery but for the size I was looking for A. they haven't quite come out with but will this month B. their pricing @ $389.00 I found elsewhere slightly larger @ $159.00 so I ordered, received and am really happy it's quality.

So if anyone is looking then take a look at this product also....

https://energizedoutdoors.com/collec...ifepo4-battery
      That 20AH super deal looks to be sold out
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

yes, the one for $119 was a close out price but a 27ah for $159.99 is still a great price.

Comment

Some may remember that after upgrading Lady Luck electronics to a more potent unit (Hook2-7 totalscan) I purchased the Dakota FePo4 lithium 12v10ahr battery to power it. The lead acid battery just didn’t have the reserves to power the unit all day long...it was expensive- $100 for the battery, but it advertised more and longer lasting reserves...so no problems...I decided I wanted to see just exactly how long the battery would power my unit so I did not recharge it after two fishing trips...forgot I was “testing” and took it on the all-day trip with Keith to Point Lookout...third fishing trip without recharging it...it lasted six and a half hours before the unit started “blinking”...so how long does the Dakota battery last? An unbelievable three times longer than my lead acid battery of the same amp hours...The total hours of run time at full screen brightnesss and full function of the Hook2 unit is right at 17 hours of continuous use...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Some may remember that after upgrading Lady Luck electronics to a more potent unit (Hook2-7 totalscan) I purchased the Dakota FePo4 lithium 12v10ahr battery to power it. The lead acid battery just didn’t have the reserves to power the unit all day long...it was expensive- $100 for the battery, but it advertised more and longer lasting reserves...so no problems...I decided I wanted to see just exactly how long the battery would power my unit so I did not recharge it after two fishing trips...forgot I was “testing” and took it on the all-day trip with Keith to Point Lookout...third fishing trip without recharging it...it lasted six and a half hours before the unit started “blinking”...so how long does the Dakota battery last? An unbelievable three times longer than my lead acid battery of the same amp hours...The total hours of run time at full screen brightnesss and full function of the Hook2 unit is right at 17 hours of continuous use...
            WOW thats a real testament to the newer Lithium technology!
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

4 1/2 years my original lithium's provided me with the power I have needed and not once failed even after being completely submerged in saltwater. As mentioned as my needs have changed so has the requirements for power so my original Nocqua's have gone to a new home. The more time goes by I find new better products to replace what I currently use. Upcoming I am replacing my current motor with one that is brushless, has more power, the amp draw is around the same and a lot less weight.

Comment

This year I too bit the bullet and bought a Smart Battery Lithium ion trolling battery, 12v 75AH, to power my 40# thrust Motorguide trolling motor I mount on my 16’ canoe. At 73 years of age carrying the 54# lead acid battery became an increasingly difficult chore, especially over rough terrain or long distances. Voltage output of the Lithium is more like 13.7v vs 12.5v for the group 27 lead/acid batteries I have been using for ~2 decades (not the same battery of course). Also the Lithiums seems to hold voltage levels at 13+volts much longer than the lead/acids hold their 12.5 volts. And the big bonus is the Lithium is 50% lighter, that’s HUGE in my book.

I took the Lithium battery to Maine early this August to power my canoe on the Kennebec River, Maine, chasing stripers. After three 3 hour trips without being recharged, it still held lots of power, and I covered quite a bit of ground during each outing. Also, the extra volt of power was noticeable in the performance/speed of my trolling motor and canoe. Lithium seem to hold significantly more power, and therefore last a lot longer, and carries my canoe farther than the lead/acid batteries they are usually grouped with. I’m quite pleased with my purchase.

Both my Smart Battery sales rep and my bro-in-law who is a battery expert in the battery business said yes, a conventional lead/acid battery charger can indeed be used to charge Lithium battery. The lithium battery is still very new to me… so we shall see how continued use affects the excellent performance of the Lithium ion battery over extended time.

There she sits in the front of my canoe
                Canoe set-up & new battery.jpg

...and the smallish schoolie cookie cutter striper I was catching.
                Cookie Cutter Striper.jpg
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I most likely will switch to lithium when my battery goes up but my current lead acid battery is doing fine. It is an Energizer 14ah battery and I have used it up to 8 hours at a time to power my elite 7 ti. Not sure how long it will last but it has never gone dead on me. It is a little wider than most batteries it sticks out of the hobie battery holder about an inch and a half or so, so I put a bungy around it to hold it in. It cost $70 so it isn't a bad option.

Comment

OK...two years later review...having serious failure issue with the Dakota battery...working with the company to resolve the failure...every product can have a bad apple in the barrel, but honestly, this is disappointing...It is dead as a door nail...no power and will not take a charge...hopefully the company will make it right, but as we speak the jury is out...will update this as information changes...

Comment

Ron, I’m certainly not a battery expert but I am aware of a “recovery” setting on some battery charges where a low voltage (1.5?) is applied to get the battery to start to take a charge. Does your charger allow you to select a setting like that?
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

No, I even bought the Dakota charger thinking perhaps it would be able to...but it doesn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          OK...two years later review...having serious failure issue with the Dakota battery...working with the company to resolve the failure...every product can have a bad apple in the barrel, but honestly, this is disappointing...It is dead as a door nail...no power and will not take a charge...hopefully the company will make it right, but as we speak the jury is out...will update this as information changes...
                          I withdraw my recommendation of Dakota Lithium battery...it is on my “do not buy” list.

Comment

So I take it the warranty not worth the words printed on the box.
                            Mike
                            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Customer service is anything but service...$100 learning lesson...just buy four 12V9aHr SLA batteries on EBay for $25..the fine print on the warrantee says they can charge $125.00 per hour to troubleshoot a hundred dollar battery...Chalk it up to experience...Too many hoops to jump through..they require you to go through the Reseller...256 Total hours of use...no way I could ever recommend this.

Comment

Working...
                              X