Rigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigging

When I first started kayak fishing in late 2010- early 2011, I hung every accessory I could on my Ocean Prowler...looked like a porcupine...did not take long before I realized less was “more” and I did not need these extra attachments. Every kayak after the “Wet Dream” has had fewer accessories, but more targeted to my way of fishing. An “essential” for me is my home made PVC rod rack/rocket launcher...I use it for everything associated with my fishing rods- trolling, bait fishing, storing rigged, ready to fish spare outfits...and a anchor trolley for bait-fishing...and naturally, an anchor when I choose to bait fish. Otherwise I rarely anchor, instead I primarily troll and cast to structure or breaking fish. Another essential for me is my Hook2-7 totalscan chartplotter...I could catch fish without in my favorite “honeyholes” as I have the memory of exactly where I have caught big fish in the past, but I would not want to be without my best structure finding tool...and with it, buying the more expensive lithium FePO4 12v10ahr battery is something I do not regret in the least...total peace of mind for having at least two long fishing trips without recharging is one less thing to go wrong. Don’t scrimp on your equipment, buying cheap means “unreliable, failure prone”...the old adage of “no free lunch” really applies to fishing and rigging your kayak...I highly recommend YakAttack products- they are top notch, made by Kayakers for kayak fishing in the USA...RAM products are good quality (other than the trackball one inch ball mount) and company warrantee is the best...use stainless steel fasteners and marine grade tinned wire...heat shrink all wiring connections and use rubber waterproof thru hull seals on wiring and cabling...best advice I can give anyone new to the sport is don’t drill a hole in your boat until you use your kayak on the water a time or two and figure out your own personal needs...less is more.
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-24-2019, 10:19 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Well said! I have been helping a few friends get in to the sport this summer and I find myself constantly saying “you won’t use that” or “wait till you have more trips in and see if you still want it”. When I started kayak and canoe fishing there were hardly any accessories and you had to make most things out of pvc, now there is an accessory for everything! There is a reason those products exist and for some situations they really are game changers, but for the most part it’s just one more thing you didn’t really need!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
    X