Trailer Question - 2 Slayer Propel Kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Question - 2 Slayer Propel Kayaks

Not exactly a kayak rigging question, but more of a ‘hauling my rigged kayak’ question.

I’m looking at two options for hauling my kayaks, a Malone Microsport Low Bed Dual Kayak Bunk trailer and a Load-Rite Dual Jetski Bunk trailer.

The kayak trailer is lighter weight and might be ‘tuned’ to haul lighter weights, but is more expensive, has to be assembled from a kit, inspected, then registered and plated - up to two weeks to get the MCO via mail.

The jet ski trailer is from a local dealer, is definitely not ‘tuned’ to haul such light watercraft, but is registered/plated and ready to go upon delivery.

My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma, so no issues there. Price is roughly $1,700 for Kayak trailer (plus all inspection, tax, title, registration, plate fees) and $1,475 for the Jetski trailer plus all fees.

Any thoughts, pros/cons, etc? Load-Rite does make a dual kayak trailer as well I could get from the same dealer, but would need to be ordered (2+ weeks), have wider bars added, have bunks added, etc. and still be plus fees (prob about $1,200-$1,300 plus fees).

I want a bunk trailer (to store/support kayaks on), and then be able to back right into the water to load/unload. My back and shoulders aren’t holding up to regular loading and unloading from my truck bed.

Dual Jetski WV2300T Model:
    http://www.loadrite.com/trailers/loa...two-place-pwc/

Dual Kayak:
    https://www.outdoorplay.com/malone-m...railer-package

Thanks,

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Hard to answer without being you. Basically... How much is your time worth? If it were me I would buy the base model Malone microsport low bed, and go to home Depot for a few treated 2x4s, some outdoor carpet, Staples and a few conduit straps, and build my own bunks on the trailer. I think you could get all the supplies for less than 100 so your total investment would be around 1300 before registration fees etc. But you may value your time more than I do, making the assembled and registered trailer the way to go. So what would your hourly rate be and how many hours do you think you'd spend on the trailer for assembly and registration etc?

It's my opinion that the trailer weight rating etc doesn't matter as much as those factors.
    -Justin

Comment

I understand. I don't so much mind assembling the trailer itself, it's the waiting (and hoping) to get the MCO, taking it for inspection, going to the DMV to get it registered (and arguing about what I need, even though I have what they specify), getting plates, etc. That in itself is a soul-sucking series of tasks that I dread. Maryland is more difficult than any state I have lived in (and more costly, with the exception of vehicles in CO) to simply title/register something and get it on the road.

I may have answered my own question typing this, as I feel frustrated just talking about it.

I was a bit worried that the dual jet-ski trailer might be a seriously bouncy rough haul due to the light weight of the kayaks - and that the kayak trailer might be more suitable in that regard.
      Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

I looked into this for a homebuilt trailer years ago so while I don't think things have changed, it's been a decade... The process of titling/registering in Maine is not difficult, but again, time... If you're buying it new from the manufacturer it shouldn't be a difficult process, But yeah key word shouldn't not won't... for the jetski trailer route you can always swap out the leaf springs on the trailer (or sometimes remove a leaf?) for a softer ride after you own it if need be.
        -Justin

Comment

Working...
        X