Truck Bed Rack Height Adjustment Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Bed Rack Height Adjustment Utility

I've been considering a truck bed rack system, such as the Yakima Overhaul HD or Thule Xsporter to help transport multiple kayaks and free up bed space when I'm fishing/crabbing with other people. I was wondering for those that use bed rack systems, if the extension feature (being able to raise/lower the rack system) is something that you use often and if you could provide the pros/cons of the one you have experience using? I would use it almost exclusively for hauling yaks, but I think I could probably secure my fishing rods to it with the snowboard attachment I have too. The price seems to go way up for those types of racks, so I was wondering what others experiences were with them.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    J
    J

I have a cheap rola rack on my Tacoma and I have been mostly happy with it. It was kinda a pain to put together and does need to be checked from time to time to make sure all nuts are tight. If I could do it again I would try to get one with fewer pieces or even solid. It was $250 on Amazon and has the wide flat bars which are more aerodynamic and make less wind noise. The ability to lower the rack seems like a good idea but my tire wells are pretty high on my truck and I don’t think I would be able to drop the rack very far.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
      I have a cheap rola rack on my Tacoma and I have been mostly happy with it. It was kinda a pain to put together and does need to be checked from time to time to make sure all nuts are tight. If I could do it again I would try to get one with fewer pieces or even solid. It was $250 on Amazon and has the wide flat bars which are more aerodynamic and make less wind noise. The ability to lower the rack seems like a good idea but my tire wells are pretty high on my truck and I don’t think I would be able to drop the rack very far.
      Thanks Redfish - I was looking at those racks too, it's good to get some input. The nuts loosening seems to be a common review I've seen for most of the racks out there. I've seen some reviews showing that the bolts sheered off with minimal load -yikes! The wind noise is a good point for one that lowers and I also was thinking it might be helpful for some parking garages. I have a tundra, so I don't know how the wheel well would impact the height for me. I'm thinking I may need to get an adapter for the racks I have, since they were originally purchased for square bars.
      J

Comment

Working...
      X