Crescent Sup+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crescent Sup+

Since buying a pedal drive kayak last season I found myself wanting a light weight throw and go style of paddle kayak. Something light weight with a clean deck, the ability to stand and cast, but also be able to paddle at a decent pace.

I read a lot of great things about crescents light tackle. I couldn't make up my mind for the longest time and did want to try stand up paddle boarding for some time. I decided to get the Sup+ because it just seemed to check a lot of the boxes for that I have been looking for.

The Crescent Sup+ is a kayak paddle board hybrid. At 11'10" and 33" wide it was plenty stable to stand and sight fish. It has a pontoon style hull which leads to its added stability. At only 58lbs its a breeze to load and unload from the roof of my car.

As for the rigging I tend to lean twords the keep it simple. Two rod holders up front for tolling or staging rods while standing. A simple mink crate behind the seat, as well as a yakattack visicarbon pole. I might end up adding a anchor to this setup at a later date.

As for paddling it tracks pretty well. Its no speed machine but it does the job. The clean open deck will work well for my fly fishing days. Also with all the gear tracks the rigging is limitless. Currently just need one more mount so I can put my GoPro on as well. The only downside is the seat sits rather low so getting up and down can be a chore at times. But I plan to get the larry chair at a later date to solve this issue. Anyone looking for a lighter weight paddle kayak, I encourage you to see what Crescent kayaks have to offer.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

image.jpg
    19477382-404C-4B5A-A82B-25F477D5B945.jpg

I enjoy fishing from a SUP. My son in attached pics enjoying it as well. The light weight and limited storage forces you to travel/pack with a minimal mindset. Which I appreciate not having to transport a ton of stuff.

The Hobie Eclipse is a decent choice however the handle bars tend to get in the way of casting and landing fish. And it’s difficult to hold a position when you have a fish on or landing. You tend to drift. When you’re on top of a school or hole, I find it more challenging to stay on top of them. Which is good and bad I suppose.

But the platform is very stable and the peddle drive allows you to get distances comparable to a kayak.

And when not using the eclipse for fishing, it’s an enjoyable family activity on the water. Kids love getting questions about the platform at the dock or even from fellow anglers on the water... it’s unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's cool. I've thought about it for awhile. Seems like it would be a wet ride which is what has discouraged me. We have too many months out of the year where the water is cold.
      Native Titan Propel 12
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
      Mercury 6hp
      Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Yep, It is... definitely a warm weather platform. and no electronics, so would need to be familiar with the waters or sight fishing... paired with our Outback, it’s a decent combination get the family out on the water with me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've only taken it out a few times so far and because of the deck design it does tend to pool some water on deck. Not a huge issue for me as long as my butt stays dry. But I do agree it is a more warm weather kayak/sup. But it will be nice to try something different. Haven't owned a paddle board for a few years now so it will be nice got get back out on one. I really like the ones bote has to offer but really don't want to drop 1500 on a "part time" paddle board.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Your SUP hybrid looks great and is well rigged for fishing. Native Watercraft makes a hybrid kayak/SUP model called the Versa Board. I know a guide in coastal NC who fishes out of that kayak/SUP and loves it. I have not tried one myself (my weak legs and poor balance keep me from standing in a kayak anyway). https://nativewatercraft.com/product...ard-angler-fs/
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
              I've only taken it out a few times so far and because of the deck design it does tend to pool some water on deck. Not a huge issue for me as long as my butt stays dry. But I do agree it is a more warm weather kayak/sup. But it will be nice to try something different. Haven't owned a paddle board for a few years now so it will be nice got get back out on one. I really like the ones bote has to offer but really don't want to drop 1500 on a "part time" paddle board.

If I were a rich man, I'd grab one just for my yearly pilgrammage to South Florida. That would be one hell of a vessel to throw in the pick up and stop just about anywhere and wet a line.
              Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
              Mercury 6hp
              Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
                Since buying a pedal drive kayak last season I found myself wanting a light weight throw and go style of paddle kayak. Something light weight with a clean deck, the ability to stand and cast, but also be able to paddle at a decent pace.

I read a lot of great things about crescents light tackle. I couldn't make up my mind for the longest time and did want to try stand up paddle boarding for some time. I decided to get the Sup+ because it just seemed to check a lot of the boxes for that I have been looking for.

The Crescent Sup+ is a kayak paddle board hybrid. At 11'10" and 33" wide it was plenty stable to stand and sight fish. It has a pontoon style hull which leads to its added stability. At only 58lbs its a breeze to load and unload from the roof of my car.

As for the rigging I tend to lean twords the keep it simple. Two rod holders up front for tolling or staging rods while standing. A simple mink crate behind the seat, as well as a yakattack visicarbon pole. I might end up adding a anchor to this setup at a later date.

As for paddling it tracks pretty well. Its no speed machine but it does the job. The clean open deck will work well for my fly fishing days. Also with all the gear tracks the rigging is limitless. Currently just need one more mount so I can put my GoPro on as well. The only downside is the seat sits rather low so getting up and down can be a chore at times. But I plan to get the larry chair at a later date to solve this issue. Anyone looking for a lighter weight paddle kayak, I encourage you to see what Crescent kayaks have to offer.

Your SUP setup looks great. I'm completely with you about wanting a light weight option to complement a kayak. I have a Hobie Oasis which is a tandem pedal kayak that I primarily use by myself. I appreciate the option to have a second person and do occasionally take a family member or friend but it works well for one person too. The issue is that it is 14.5 feet long and is just under 100lbs unfitted so it is definitely not a light option. There had been another member, Steve S., who seemed like they were one of the early SUP fisherman in the area and was kind enough to answer some questions that I had to get started. I was able to pick up a Bote HD (about 40lbs) from West Marine a few years ago when they were closing one of their stores in the Annapolis at a great deal but for multiple personal reasons, it has yet to touch water. I'm committed to taking it out this year and hoping to enjoy the light option. I have a Engel drybox that I can use for storage and a seat but my plan is to use it while standing for the most part to get the exercise benefit too. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X