Kayak Rod Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Rod Maintenance

Here’s a trick if you have some pitted cork handles from wear or that have deteriorated after sitting in a flush mount rod holder with water in it (the downfall of the front flush mounts on an outback).

1) Prep rod with some light sanding and then clean with alcohol. You could probably use something else to clean but I have alcohol and like that it evaporates so it fits my lazy style.

73AF8B03-6D4C-4E09-9479-F9E1699F4B77.jpg
    11F20E9E-356E-435F-87E6-F3AC40AD2603.jpg

2) Get some filler cork and wood glue. I save cork shavings from when I shape rod handles but you could use a piece of sacrificial cork handle (if you can find something that matches your rod), a wine cork, or saw dust. You can use elmers if you don’t have wood glue. Mix them together in about even proportions until you have a nice mud consistency.

9D487D77-8409-460F-928E-52B2D50F3ABD.jpg
    2CDE8C1F-166E-4141-BE39-362D6A55788F.jpg

3) Slather it on your rod handle and make sure to press into the pitted areas. Go overboard. It doesn’t matter bc you will sand off the excess. I used a rod dryer to assist but if you don’t have it then make some notches in a plastic coffee can or rig something else up to balance the rod for drying. If you don’t have a dryer I would give the rod a turn every 5 mins until it gels up and doesn’t run. If you have too much glue you will be able to tell in this step. You can always sprinkle some more cork on here and rub it in. I use a craft store popsicle stick and it makes cleanup easy.

390B8AEC-5235-48E3-864A-620D8B5A57F8.jpg

4) Sand the excess until it’s even.

5) Fish for a few more years and then do it again.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Great tip! Might have to break out my older "junk rods" and clean them up a bit.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Used this method to repair a vintage fly rod I got super cheap from ebay....I had just finished sanding my staircase and had the sandings still in the catch bag on the sander....super easy and effective as I didn't want to take the rod apart to make the repair....it is still holding up and looks good.
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Additional advice from a former shop teacher:

Try to use yellow wood working glue, not white Elmer's glue. White glue tends to get rubbery and loads sandpaper quickly.
        You can use epoxy, but be careful, because epoxy, unless you mix it with a lot of cork dust, can dry very hard and when you sand, the cork around it gets sanded but the epoxy doesn't come off as well.
        Super glue is also useable mixed with a little baking soda. I used to patch my lathe turnings with super glue and sawdust.

Start with either #80 or #100 grit aluminum oxide paper to rapidly remove the excess material and shape the grip. This will leave a somewhat rough surface. Be careful, this will sand cork fast!

Continue with #150 to further smooth the surface and finish with some #220.

You can go higher, like to #320 or even #400, but this is overkill, unless you are making a high end fly rod.

Comment

Working...
        X