Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smallest elec propulsion for kayak

I always enjoyed paddling and never wanted a motor on my yak,,
    But I live on a tidal river, my little town launch is two miles up river and down river from decent sized creeks I want to fish.
    Most times I would be paddling against the tide 2 miles to get there and 2 miles back, I have done it, but it is not fun in a wide stable yak (Coosa HD)

I am looking to add an elec "assist",, AKA the smallest elec motor propulsion I can find?
    Does not need to be a trolling motor, steering is not necessary, as it would be an "Assist" to my paddeling.

I have no problem fabricating my own brackets, wiring controls, etc.

Any Ideas??
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

You’ll love the Torqeedo. I’ve used and owned electric engines for over 50 years and they are the best that I’ve found.

Comment

Thinking hard about one of the Honda GX25 powered units,, converted to propane.
      Captian of the plastic Navy
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Type "use electric drill as an outboard motor" into Google. You will find various videos of guys who used a cordless drill to rotate a prop shaft. I suspect the duration of this approach would depend on how much charge you have in a battery. It certainly is lightweight and could serve as a short-distance supplemental power.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Another option would be the Bixpy... Moc & plasticboat use them on their Outbacks...

Comment

I second Oldbayrunner's observation about the Bixby. I have been using electric motors (Minn kota's) on my canoe with deep cycle 100 ah marine batteries since the 1990's. The batteries are heavy and I always take 2 on my canoe. On my Kayak, I bought a Bixby, and it has been a good economical investment if you are looking for an "assist" while using your kayak. The motor is small and light. Setup is a breeze since there is no wiring to do since the speed controller is wireless. The battery is light and it floats. As an assist option, I have never run out of battery power on my trips lasting 6 to 8 hours on the water. Since it is small, it is not as powerful as the Torqeedo's, but it is much cheaper to purchase and it is cheaper to repair. I know of several people who's Torqeedo's failed and each time it cost them $800. You can buy a brand new Bixby motor by itself for $500-$600. The repair would be way cheaper. But if you need speed and power and a bigger LIO Battery and you are willing to pay the prince, then the Torqeedo's are hard to beat.
            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
            2016 Hobie Outback LE
            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Torqeedo has revised it’s repair service. You can get the whole engine pylon for $600 and many are covered by warranty that has loosedup too.

Comment

That's good news, but I was looking more at the life of ownership after the warranty runs out.
                MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I have had on my mind for a long time powering my kayak.
                  One option was a gas powered motor, which they have small models for light vessels. You can carry minimal gas weight wise and go a long way. Downside is the noise. Ie: you are running a weed wacker.

One thing to also consider is mounting options and your kayak. The Bixby has the rudder mount which is straight forward and simple.

The Torqeedo, may require special mounts, depending on your kayak.

One of the reasons a I upgraded to a 13 foot Vibe kayak was the extra weight capacity, thinking I would go electric one day and 40-50 pound battery I would carry.
                  Of course there is the lipo battery option, but they are not cheap. But definitely the weight problem diminishes.

Most probably know Torqeedo came out with a more powerful motor . But your battery life is pretty much cut in half because of the power drain.
                  I think a lot of guys want the larger motor because their boats heavy, and they want that “run and gun” for their fishing requirements (bass fishermen in tournaments, not needing to really go long distances, etc.)
                  Jeff Little recently circumvented Kent Island, and 10 or so hours on the water with this large motor, But tapped out the battery on that long day.
                  And if one were to be on a bivwack trip, you’d be without a motor the next day. No way to recharge the battery. Which may take 10 hours (guessing).. if you had a portable generator… you could.

Soooo…..

This week I installed the Torqeedo 403ac to my Vibe Seaghost 130.
                  It was a pretty easy install using most my preexisting hardware. No permanent top hardware except the motor mount, as I car top my kayak.
                  I did need a special motor mount because of the stern shape of the Vibe.

I struggled with the “Zen” aspect of paddling over power for my esoteric kayak fishing experience.

In my stash of dumpster dives, I just happened to have an aluminum pole that fits perfectly in the mount, and hope to fashion a quick swap out rudder to get “Zen’ed” or for quick paddles.

There is coming a professional made motor/rudder swap out .

Yikes, I have been Torqeedo'ed !

p.s. You will need to have your boat registered with DNR.. So if you are thinking about going with power best to get that started first.

Comment

I switched to the Bixpy a while a go on my PA12 and at the time I was fishing mainly in the Chesapeake. The motor was adequate and only in rough water did I see any performance issues. In the Potomac, Deep Creek lake, and other small freshwater bodies the performance has been optimal. I use mine in the mirage drive well. I normally pedal or paddle out at the start of the fishing day and use the Bixpy to bring me home when I'm more likely to be a little tired. I recommend it as a great choice for PA12 and smaller yaks.

Gregory
                    Gregory
                    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                    2014 Pro Angler 12
                    '

Comment

Rob ....... you’re right. They did drain the battery but that was after 10 hours and 41 miles I think. If you want to go overnight, you could get a second battery or a solar charger but it will take time to charge.

Comment

Just don’t hit anything when you have an engine in the mirage drive hole. It can’t kick up like a rear mounted engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                          Rob ....... you’re right. They did drain the battery but that was after 10 hours and 41 miles I think. If you want to go overnight, you could get a second battery or a solar charger but it will take time to charge.
                          I have the 403AC with the 914 battery... so basically I can go twice the distance. And I do have a portable inverter generator..
                          So I won't have any problems on a bivwac situation.

See ya on the water.

Comment

I never thought I would add a trolling motor to my kayak, but issues of bursitis and arthritis now call for some degree of assist. I PM'd several on this list who reported the purchase of a Bixpy a couple years ago. After a 100% positive and generally enthusiastic response about how the device has been working for them, I ordered one last night. There are no deals to be had on the device and none planned for Father's Day, but the coupon code COVIDSUCKS-04 can save you 20% on a mount if you purchase that through them too. I don't believe that code is advertised, a Bixpy guy gave it to me over the phone.
                            Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
                            2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Working...
                            X