Lithium Battery Suggestion - 60Ah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Battery Suggestion - 60Ah

I'm looking to buy a 60ah lithium battery to power my fishfinder and 30# thrust trolling motor. I've been using a 35ah SLA deep cycle battery. The weight is not so bad (25lb), but it doesn't have quite enough power to get through a long day. I thought about adding another SLA battery, but it'll be way too heavy. From my research, Amped outdoor battery, Dakota or Bioenno seems to be an option. I see Ron is having an issue with his Dakota battery. So that's probably out. I'm inclined to the Amped outdoor battery since it's quite cheaper than the Bioenno. Does anyone have experience with the Amped outdoor battery? Or I'm open to any other suggestions if it's around the same price range.

https://ampedoutdoors.com/collection...series-capable
    Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

As someone who has used lithium batteries on kayaks for years now, I have done a lot of research over the years and used a few different ones..... With that said I currently have both a 27ah Amped Outdoors & a 100ah Bioenno. There is a difference in the construction of lithium batteries one does not see from the outside, the BMS management, coupled with cells that are used and the interior framework. Will a lessor priced one work, yes but how well for how long can factor in. Both mine work but my 100ah Bienno has never had a hint of problem in the past couple years I've used it. The Amped outdoors I purchased 6 months ago? The first one I received never would charge so they sent me a new one. The 2nd has worked but at times what should take a coupled hours to charge sometimes takes over 5 so I suspect it isn't going to fair well for very long so they jury is still out on it. Another to look at is the Battle Born.

So my advised if you want less problems and longevity the cheaper may not fair as well as it's it's slightly more costly competitor. The good thing is the price has come down over all. one thing though Lithium batteries take a different charger than what other batteries do or they wont completely charge.

Comment

Thanks both of you. Yes it's hard to compare different batteries without looking at what's inside. The Battle born seems pretty good with a 10yr warranty.
      Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

And warrantees have lots of fine print...look carefully...I am going through this “warrantee claim on a LIfepo4 12v10ahr Dakota battery right now. Needless to say it is not “user friendly”...original receipts, proof of purchase...dealing with the “reseller” before the company...and prorated compensation for the period of use of the battery towards to purchase of a replacement battery. Mine failed after a total of 256 hours of usage...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks, Ron for the tip. I'll take a look closely when I buy one. Just out of curiosity, how did you find out the total hours of usage?
          Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Purchased March 1, 2019 installed on March 9 (my birthday)...my fishing log had 64 trips to failure of battery...average trip is four hours or less...math is 256 hours of total usage...at the maximum...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

If u want a smaller separate one I use the wilderness system lithium. It is super small and light. U can also use it to charge phones etc. Ran my striker 4 for several trips with out recharging.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I'll go with one Amped Outdoors 60Ah battery for now. It seems they're behind their products and they have a 3 year warranty. Not as good as Battle Born but I guess 3 year warranty will likely cover any initial quality control issues. The battery is still out of stock. I'll share my review once I have my hands on the battery.
                Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Working...
                X