Weedless Texas rigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weedless Texas rigs?

Any of you guys running your zmans or other paddle tails weedless? I picked up a bunch of packs of Texas rig style jig-heads when I fishing grass beds down south. I really didn't see any drop in hook ups, but a major decrease in snags for grass or oysters. It definitely appeared to be the choice rig for the down there.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

They help a lot over here on the Shore when the grass flats get thick. I have some weighted and unweighted VMC ones. Like you said they work great, but getting the bait holder screw to dig into a Zman is a pain in the butt.
    Brian

Comment

Try using another hook to first pierce a pilot hole into the nose of the bait.

Comment

Originally posted by toadfinger View Post
        Try using another hook to first pierce a pilot hole into the nose of the bait.
        Good tip. Thanks.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
          “but getting the bait holder screw to dig into a Zman is a pain in the butt.
          Yeah, the screws were a pain, but these chinlock ones are great. They hold the tails in place. I'm not really seeing a reason not to use them all the time,,,although, they are more expensive.

30696245-4007-4E15-A076-F954517B1D40.jpg
          Jay

10' Green Slayer
          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I rig mine weedless in areas with a lot of vegetation.

They're technically not a TX rig because I use no weight on them. But I do bury the hook point into the paddletail's body to make it weedless. The paddletails I use made of dense yet soft plastic and they sink. They cast far too.

I use this Owner Twistlock hook in size 3/0:

Screwhook.jpg

And this is the paddletail, Reaction Innovations Little Dipper:

LittleDipper.jpg

I have no issues with the screw on the Owner hook separating from the paddletail.

Here's a hint that will increase your hookups. Offset the hook point slightly. You'll be surprised at how that leads to more fish in the boat.

Weedless rigging is the best method to get your paddletails through areas with heavy hydrilla, thick pads or spatterdock where these guys live:

P1030712.jpg P1060049 (2).jpg
            Last edited by Mark; 08-29-2020, 07:08 AM.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

in addition to Mark's good tip to off-set the angle of the hook point, adjust the hook point axis to align to the eye also helps increase hook-ups.

Comment

Mark, do you use those 3/0 hooks with 3 and 4 inch paddle tails? One thing I sometimes struggle with is sizing the hook properly to the soft plastic.
                2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
                  Mark, do you use those 3/0 hooks with 3 and 4 inch paddle tails? One thing I sometimes struggle with is sizing the hook properly to the soft plastic.
                  fluke (2).jpg
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I’m liking the weighted Texas rigs over adding a bullet, I’m having way more hook-ups slowly hugging the bottom. I stole this from a video and it worked great: for the below Texas hook, Take off the screw and take your plier and push the weight forward to make a chinlock that keeps the tail in place, just secure the weight with a crimp of the pliers.
                    27018C64-B029-4628-AA70-F895446C7BAF.jpeg

Also, I think I am going to try these out next because the Zman Texas Eyes are a pain to find. I’m liking the swivels head. I think it adds movement and I don’t need to tie a Rapala loop knot, just a polomar.
                    FEF4B278-E599-4ED6-9DA8-22548697D831.jpg
                    Jay

10' Green Slayer
                    13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Working...
                    X