Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canoe mods

My "kayaks" are really canoes.

One of my canoes is an Old Town 12 ' Pack Canoe.

It's small and very light (33 lbs.) which is attractive when carrying, but it has a problem with it's initial stability. It's secondary stability seems to be OK, but I really don't want to find out the hard way.

It's a twitchy little beast, and not real confidence inspiring, especially as my balance isn't as good as it used to be. It's OK as a small pond craft, but I want to get more use out of it.

Catch a surprise wake from behind, and I find myself grabbing the gunnels and hanging on. A bit nerve wracking.

With that in mind, I set about creating a retractable pontoon system to make the craft a little more user friendly.

Using the F-14 swing wing fighter as my model, I got some blemished floats made by Spring Creek and designed a way to swing them from flush against the side of the canoe extending out to 16" from each side.
    When flush against the side of the canoe, I should be able to paddle without any difficulty. I can also adjust the height of the floats.
    The way I have them set up, I should still be able to cast forwards without them being in the way, and when I use my motor, the motor mount should fit in behind this.

IMG_1648.jpg. IMG_1650.jpg IMG_1651.jpg. IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg. IMG_1654.jpgIMG_1655.jpg. IMG_1656.jpg
    Last edited by bignose; 01-19-2021, 12:50 PM.

Very nice engineering Stu.

You have added stability to an extremely lightweight boat.

My son paddles a Pack -- youthful agility and balance help him keep the wet side down.

At the launch he tosses it on his shoulder and walks it to and from the water -- while I am loading my kayak on my cart.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Your craftsmanship looks good. But you are showing your age. You just made a walker for your canoe.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That is really funny, sad, but true!

Back in the day..........

When I was teaching courses for the Red Cross, I used to be able to "gunnel pump" a canoe. Check out Youtube: Gunnel pumping
        This involves balancing in a standing position on the gunnel towards the stern of the canoe, and using an up-down pumping, bending your knees vigorously, using this motion creates thrust to make the canoe propel forward. I could actually do this and run the obstacle I set up for my trainees!

These days I practically need a crane to help me out of the boat after a couple of hours of fishing.
        Last edited by bignose; 01-19-2021, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Several years ago I borrowed my bro-N-law's 12' oldtown pack canoe to fish a side creek on the Magothy targeting pickerel. By the end of my outing I was a nervous wreck after have to twitch and turn for hours to keep from flipping...Never again. I'll stick with my 16' Oldtown Camper.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

That looks slick
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Stu that boat is very similar to my first paddlecraft - an old town discovery 12 ft solo. It was very unstable and was given to me by a family friend who took it out once, swamped, and almost drown on a calm day on a lake. He had a life jacket on but it was cold and he was surprised. He lost some very high end orvis flyfishing stuff and wanted the kayak out of his sight! I used to take it out on the New River when I was in college and swamped it multiple times trying to run through some rapids. I learned to lash the rods down and had a fanny pack with my tackle in it so I never lost anything. It was a pain to drain but sometimes I think I miss that boat!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X