Outback 8" Rear Hatch Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outback 8" Rear Hatch Install

Looking to do some Kayak fishing/camping this year and looking at storage options.

Has anybody installed the rear circular hatch on their 2019/2020 Outback and have any feedback? Looks simple enough though sawing a big hole in the deck isn't all that appealing but having the space to place a wet bag out of the way would be great.
    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

I haven't installed the rear hatch but agree it does seem simple enough. There's even a molded in circle for you to cut out so you're not just free handing it. I learned the other day that putting holes in your kayak like this (or drilling holes to install anchor trolley, pad eyes, etc.) doesn't necessarily void Hobie's warranty, it would only void coverage of problems that arise due to the installation/modification. So if you install a rear hatch and then something completely unrelated happens like you get a crack around your drive well, that would still be covered under warranty. If a crack originated from your self-installed hatch that would likely not be covered by warranty though.

As an alternative, Hobie also sells a front hatch liner so you can make better use of that space. It's plenty big enough to throw a dry bag in there along with other stuff. The front hatch liner is WAY too expensive for what it is (a $72 plastic bucket, essentially) but I will say it's quite sturdy - I got one as a Christmas gift and was surprised at the "build quality"... if you can say such a thing about a molded piece of plastic.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Have not since I don't have that model Outback, but I have installed hatches on the Compass and the Rectangular hatch in my 2016 Outback...measure twice- cut once...take your time...it isn't a very hard upgrade.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thank you Dave and Ron. I think I will knock this out in a few weeks. Seems like I'll need to untie the up/down rudder line before sticking the jigsaw blade through the deck.

I will check out the front hatch liner. Didn't know they existed.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
          I haven't installed the rear hatch but agree it does seem simple enough. There's even a molded in circle for you to cut out so you're not just free handing it. I learned the other day that putting holes in your kayak like this (or drilling holes to install anchor trolley, pad eyes, etc.) doesn't necessarily void Hobie's warranty, it would only void coverage of problems that arise due to the installation/modification. So if you install a rear hatch and then something completely unrelated happens like you get a crack around your drive well, that would still be covered under warranty. If a crack originated from your self-installed hatch that would likely not be covered by warranty though.

As an alternative, Hobie also sells a front hatch liner so you can make better use of that space. It's plenty big enough to throw a dry bag in there along with other stuff. The front hatch liner is WAY too expensive for what it is (a $72 plastic bucket, essentially) but I will say it's quite sturdy - I got one as a Christmas gift and was surprised at the "build quality"... if you can say such a thing about a molded piece of plastic.
          Dave - does the front hatch liner fit without me having to reconfigure my FF battery box set-up that is secured to the post there? I like how I currently have the battery engineered and the liner may make recharging the lithium battery a pain. Thanks!
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X