Almost time for another crate....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost time for another crate....

I added a few more holders, inside and outside. I have some space in the middle, but that would require a little more engineering to get the tubes stable and upright...my fly rods are stored in separate cases, but I have few lonely rods without reels....I'm fairly certain I have a set up to catch just about anything I would want to target. A family friend gifted me a few set ups last summer, and quite a few of these are family hand me downs...hence I won't part with them, unless it's a gift to get another angler started. Call me sentimental, but I do find myself going over them and thinking of past experiences that I enjoyed with them, and the company I was with. The wife doesn't get it...but then again, she doesn't need too, she happily accepts that they mean a lot to me...and stays fairly quiet as long as I keep them somewhat orderly.IMG_20210125_140034_874.jpg
    IMG_20210125_140020_654.jpg
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

It looks like you are ready for a new rod storage system. I have tried different rod storage solutions over the years. In the old days, the rods rested upright in a corner and often became tangled. 18 years ago, I mounted horizontal arms high up on my garage walls. This worked, but often created challenges in picking up a rod farther back on the arm.

002.jpg 001.jpg

After a few years with those rod racks, I went with vertical rod holders mounted on the garage wall next to my fishing tackle shelves. I took this photo just a few days ago. I currently own 10 spinning rod combos and two other travel rods (in the hard cases leaning on the rack). I made this rack by installing three 4-slot rod holders from West Marine plus one single tube at the end (I used to have a few more rods). To avoid having reel handles bump into the adjacent reels, make sure the tube spacing is adequate (some 3-slot rod holders are too close together).

2021-01-25-001.jpg

I am lucky to have that much wall space available, but it is a good way to keep my rods readily available. The rack is close to the rear hatch on my van for quick loading.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      It looks like you are ready for a new rod storage system. I have tried different rod storage solutions over the years. In the old days, the rods rested upright in a corner and often became tangled. 18 years ago, I mounted horizontal arms high up on my garage walls. This worked, but often created challenges in picking up a rod farther back on the arm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27158[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27159[/ATTACH]

After a few years with those rod racks, I went with vertical rod holders mounted on the garage wall next to my fishing tackle shelves. I took this photo just a few days ago. I currently own 10 spinning rod combos and two other travel rods (in the hard cases leaning on the rack). I made this rack by installing three 4-slot rod holders from West Marine plus one single tube at the end (I used to have a few more rods). To avoid having reel handles bump into the adjacent reels, make sure the tube spacing is adequate (some 3-slot rod holders are too close together).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27157[/ATTACH]

I am lucky to have that much wall space available, but it is a good way to keep my rods readily available. The rack is close to the rear hatch on my van for quick loading.
      That looks great. I currently do not have the wall space for it...But that idea is now added to my necessities for our retirement home...thank you for sharing.
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        To avoid having reel handles bump into the adjacent reels, make sure the tube spacing is adequate (some 3-slot rod holders are too close together).
        I find that most off the shelf rod holders/racks don't have adequate spacing. Theyre fine if your rods dont have reels. You end up having to fan out your reels in order to squeeze them in otherwise.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Chip,

I'd say you're well beyond "almost time" for new rod storage system. You definitively need to re-engineer your crate. Either that or you could reduce the number of your rods.

Reducing inventory is not an option, huh? I didn't think so. I don't blame you on that.

I've been using this relatively inexpensive commercial ceiling alternative from Amazon for years in my garage:

https://www.amazon.com/RackEm-7009-O...%2C147&sr=8-20

IMG_3503.jpg

It's easy for me to reach each rod individually. I don't have to move one out of the way to retrieve or store another. I keep 12 spinning and bait cast rods from 7 feet to 5.5 feet in length fully rigged and ready to use on it. They alternate direction to avoid the issue of the reels being too close together.

One caution...I would not advise you to use any rack close to the ceiling for fly rods. I broke the tip of one of my fly rods by hitting the ceiling on the above rack. I had it at full length, 9 feet and pre-strung. I now store most of them unrigged in their rods tubes. I believe it's not worth the risk to maneuver their fragile tips so close to the ceiling. I do keep the fly rods I am most likely to use at a given time of year broken down into two pieces, pre-strung and stored horizontally at eye-level on my kayak rack:

IMG_3504.jpg

That has worked well for me.

So, good luck in your redo. It's important that we find the best ways to store our favorite toys.
          Last edited by Mark; 01-26-2021, 04:33 PM.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X