Keeping a paddle from rattling in my vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping a paddle from rattling in my vehicle

I haul my kayaks in the back of my Toyota Sienna minivan. My Werner carbon fiber paddle breaks down into two pieces. Over the years, I have tried various ways to store the paddles in the van without having them rattle too much. Usually I would wedge the two blades between a second row seat and the side door. Often the paddles shifted slightly and rattled while I was driving.

2021-04-11-001.jpg 2021-04-11-002.jpg

A few months ago I came up with a new plan. I have owned a 30-liter dry bag for a long time, but rarely use it. The opening on that dry bag easily accommodates the blades of both paddles. Once the blades are inside, I fasten the clips to close the opening of the bag. I can then wedge the dry bag into the space between the seat and the door. I have had no rattling with this method, plus the bag offers a bit of extra protection for the expensive carbon fiber blades.

2021-04-11-003.jpg 2021-04-11-004.jpg

I'm sure this same technique could be used with other types of bags or coverings that hold the two blades together and keep them from sliding around.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

2 things:
    You have way to much free time
    And, it would take a month to eliminate all the rattling in my van
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

John, that's a good solution to the annoying rattle!

Comment

Working...
      X