Live Lining Spot from a Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Lining Spot from a Kayak

My fishing partner really wants to get into some larger fish. To be honest, I have been having a lot of fun with the schoolies, but I would like to help him get into something a little larger. I used to live line spots from charter boats.

Does anyone do this from a kayak? I don't think I have noticed this in any recent reports....if I missed it, I apologize. I was thinking that on a calm day, I might be willing to try fishing around the bay bridge but am certainly open to other locations ( I have never taken a kayak out near the bay bridge...I am a little intimidated but would be willing to try).

Any thoughts on live lining spot on a kayak to try to get to some larger stripers?

Thank you.

I have never done it but very interested as well. I don't have a live well so did some research before and came across several different versions of something like this.
    https://kayakanglermag.com/tactics-s...diy-bait-tube/

Not sure if this will help but your post just reminded me I wanted to do that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

There were some kayak anglers who did livelining at the Bay Bridge several years ago. Do some searches in Snaggedline to see what they posted. I think they bought spot at Anglers (check to make sure Anglers has spot before heading out).

The Bay Bridge is not a place for novice kayakers to go on any but the calmest days (like today and yesterday). From many years of launching boats at Sandy Point, I learned that the currents around the bridge pilings can be quite strong and do not necessarily adhere to the tide tables. Wakes from big ships can travel a long distance and surprise you. Also keep in mind that if you fish that area on a weekend, you will be sharing the water with hundreds of power boats that also throw wakes.

The DNR requires that circle hooks must be used when livelining. Make sure you have the correct hooks. I personally do not like livelining and cannot offer any other suggestions on how to rig up.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I live line for flatheads and blue cats and have live lined from boats.

I use 30lb braid with an egg sinker to match the current. We used sinkers as well to get below the bluefish. Use heavy florocarbon leaders with size 8 or 9 circle hooks. I have seen pre rigged leaders with swivel and hook but the leader was like three foot long and needs to be shortened.

You will feel the rockfish pick up the bait sometimes the crush it and spit it. Try and wait for it to run and then reel down with out a hook set to let the circle hook do its job. Bait runner reels are plus so u don't have to mess with your drag or having an open bail.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

I've live lined spot from the kayak with mixed success. I don't have a baitwell so I don't buy spot; my day starts out fishing for them. They are usually pretty easy to catch bottom fishing. I use an ultralight rod, simple bottom rig with a small weight and small hooks, and bloodworm, fishbites, or cut up spot for bait. That's right, little strips of spot fillet actually make great bait for spot.

Once I get a spot that's suitable size I throw it on a live lining rig off the back of the kayak and then keep bottom fishing for more spot to keep myself entertained. My live lining rig is a 7'6" MH with a baitrunner reel, heavy mono leader below a swivel with a big (9/0 or 10/0) circle hook snelled on the leader. I've had some good hits, and had some big fish take off running with the spot, but I don't think I've ever actually landed a fish live lining from a kayak. You want to REALLY make sure they have the whole bait in their mouth and are swimming away with it before you engage the drag.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Live lining from a kayak is alive and well, but as mentioned you should be an experienced kayaker to try it. It’s about 1.6 miles from the sandy point marina to the west rock pile. I start by first taking an hour to an hour and half under the close bridge pilings going for spot of small perch on worms. Once I have a few I will head out to the rock pile. As others have mentioned, the current around the rock pile can be vicious. If you’re not in shape to paddle or peddle strong the last 100 yards then don’t try. If you do get there, take a breather in one of the two near corners of the pile. Get set up, and then go about 50 yards up current and let the current pull you around one or the other side while letting your bait run. Be careful though. If you lose focus, i.e., reeling in a fish, the current can push you pretty far pretty quickly and you may not like where you end up. Always keep an eye out for boaters and waves from nowhere.

I recommend you don’t go that far on your first attempt. Just go far enough to get to a major bridge support. My last trip to the rock pile was a bust, but on the way back I fished one of the pilings and had a keeper rockfish in the kayak about a minute later. Don’t forget to trail a lure on the ride out just in case. I caught two schoolies on the way out, but you never know what you’ll find between the bait catching and the live lining.

I won’t even head to the bay if the wind forecast is above 6 mph. Even then, don’t believe it. Once there, I will look at the tress across from the launch. If they’re moving I’m not heading out to the rock pile, I will just make it a perch or catfish day.

Comment

I will add that it is very helpful if not damn near required to have a pedal drive or trolling motor of some type that will help you hold position. If you have to deal with current, try to fish, avoid boaters and pilings, and paddle with your hands it can be overwhelming and a bit dangerous.
              Native Titan Propel 12
              Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
              Mercury 6hp
              Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
              Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Thank you for all of the input on this topic. I definitely have taken the precautions to heart and will not be attempting to fish this area from my kayak. I have had a number of humbling experiences this year including:

- lost two rods
                - lost prescription eyeglasses
                - got to launch without a paddle
                - fell out of kayak while reaching back to get a rod that was being pulled into the water by a fish while trolling (this is before I got good rod holders and before I found a better way to secure seat in the high position)
                - a couple of times getting back to the launch was challenging due to weather conditions and also a long day of trolling from a paddle kayak is a lot more tiring than a day of casting (at least to me)

There are probably more examples. This has been a great couple of seasons thanks to this board. Yes, I have experienced growing pains...but at least I am growing :--)

Comment

https://youtu.be/Q2zBAfJtbZI

This might help, will give you the basics and let you see what it’s like on a calm day. Don’t even try it if the wind is up.

Comment

I still do it a lot and it’s been a great tactic this year as there are a lot of spot around. I usually just use one of those minnow buckets tied off to my kayak but I also have a livewell. Spot have been so thick lately you don’t need to worry about loading a bunch up.

What kind of kayak do you have?
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TedH View Post
                      https://youtu.be/Q2zBAfJtbZI

This might help, will give you the basics and let you see what it’s like on a calm day. Don’t even try it if the wind is up.
                      That's a really great video! Is it your channel? I like how clearly the information is presented... no bullshit, no 7 minutes of talking at the camera and 3 minutes of fishing, no plugging sponsors... just a dude trying to get some fish and bringing viewers along for the ride.
                      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
                        That's a really great video! Is it your channel? I like how clearly the information is presented... no bullshit, no 7 minutes of talking at the camera and 3 minutes of fishing, no plugging sponsors... just a dude trying to get some fish and bringing viewers along for the ride.
                        Thanks Dave,

Yep, that’s me. Just passing along some info that took me a while to learn. I figure the rock pile is the worst kept secret anyway

Ted

Comment

I just watched that video, he hit all the important parts and has a lot of tips. The only thing I’d add is bring some fish finder rigs and some 1/2, 1, and 2 oz weights to help get your spot down against the pilings so that you can make sure the bait is in the strike zone and doesn’t get sept away in the current. I fish the pilings more than the rockpiles but there are fish against most structure.
                          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

You can tell from the video just how hard that current rips around the rock piles too. And that's on an otherwise calm day... Add some wind and chop to the picture and it's easy to see how things could quickly go awry out there in kayak.

I've never fished the bay bridge before but I fished Kent Narrows on an outgoing tide a couple weekends ago and that was hands down the most intense current I've ever fished in. I was pedaling as hard as I could and only maintaining 0.4 mph, and I'm pretty sure at least half of that speed was the current pushing me sort of sideways and not my pedals pushing me forward.
                            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

That was the best and most informative fishing video I have ever seen out of probably thousands I have previously viewed. Thank you Ted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Working...
                              X