Hobie Rudder/Tracking Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Rudder/Tracking Question

I just bought a new Revo 13 and on my first trip out I'm having an issue. I'm sure customer support or digging through hobie forums might provide an answer, but I figure half of the people on here own or have used hobies and I know there are a few former/current engineers.

Once I get the drive in and the rudder down, it starts out tracking straight, but the second I start building up a little bit of speed, it starts pulling to the left. Additionally, the steering control starts pulling to the left. I can physically prevent the steering knob from going left, but it requires a bit of force from my hand that I can't imagine would be comfortable for more than a few minutes... nor for quick adjustments while fishing. If I take my hand off the steering knob and keep pedaling, the knob eventually goes all the way to the left and I'm kayaking in circles.

Its a 2021 model, so I don't think there is a cleat for the "down" pull, rather it locks into place with the teeth on the grommet (clearly, I'm probably using the wrong terms here) and then pulls loose by pulling at a more upward angle. Unfortunately, I had to order online and have it delivered from a distance, so I can't bring it back to the store for a quick look.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Ocean Trident Ultra 4.3
    Hobie Revolution 13 Red Hibiscus

My guess is that your rudder steering cable is loose. That's the cable that exits the stern on the port (left) side of the kayak. The cable should have no slack.

It may help if you untie that cable from the rudder assembly. You'll see the knot on the rudder. I've marked it with a yellow arrow here:

Rudder_LI.jpg

Note also you see no slack on any of the cables in the photo. That's how they should be.

After you loosen the steering cable, set your rudder to track straight and your steering lever to do the same. Then re-tie the cable to the rudder so the cable is tight. Note that there is an elastic portion on the rudder cable unseen within the hull. So, pull the cable relatively tight as you retie. The elasticity will keep tension on the cable and stop the rudder from moving on its own when you are under power.

My Revo is a 2018. It sounds from your description of your 2021 Revo that the rudder lock down mechanism has changed somewhat. However, it is critical that that particular cable on the starboard (right) side of the boat is also tight and remains so as you are moving. That will keep your rudder in the water.

You are correct that your rudder should hold position as you pedal without you keeping your hand on the steering lever. I have never had the issue you describe and I have owned two Revos. Their steering has always been sensitive and stays in position without me holding it there.

I hope the above simple suggestions solve your issue.

Good luck,
    Last edited by Mark; 09-29-2021, 06:36 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark, I think you might be on to something. The picture attached shows the rudder being held by hand in roughly a straight/neutral position (when held there, the steering knob looks about center in its range of motion). Both cables there have some give to them, but as you predicted, the one on the left side of the kayak is looser. So based on your suggestion, I should make sure the lines on both sides are tight, correct? Basically have the rudder set for straight, the steering knob set in the middle, then untie each cable one at a time and make them relatively tight? Thanks.

rudder demo.jpg

When I ordered the kayak there was a delay because they said they had to replace something with a rudder cable, so I'm not entirely surprised that something is slightly off here.
      Ocean Trident Ultra 4.3

Comment

Yes, I think if you tighten the cable just a bit that will help. Mine is not excessively tight but it has less play in it than yours.

Also, I would check one more thing before you tighten those cable connections. The cable actually runs forward from the steering lever to a pulley mechanism before it heads to the rudder. If you open the deck hatch and use a mirror, you should be able to see that mechanism. It's not far from the lever. I would check that visually, to make sure the cable is still engaged with it properly. In other words, is the cable still properly aligned on the pulley. If not, that may be the source of your slack line.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I don't have any tips to fix your specific problem since my Outback uses a completely different rudder system, but it sounds like you're well on your way to fixing it anyway.

I just wanted to note that thermal expansion/contraction of the hull can have a noticeable effect on these rudder systems. If your rudder was properly tuned during the summer on a nice hot sunny day, it could be the case that the cooler weather we're getting now has caused your hull to shrink enough to make the steering cables go slack. It seems crazy to think our kayaks shrink and expand that much but they definitely do... I've seen it first hand where there will be tons of slop in my steering first thing in the morning after a nice brisk night, and by the end of the day after fishing in the sun all day my steering cables are so tight I actually have to use considerable effort to turn the steering knobs.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Well, it took three trips to the water, but today I finally got it working. Fished Triadelphia for about 3.5 hrs. The pedal drive really opens up some different manners of fishing from a kayak and I can certainly cover more ground without exhausting myself. I caught a crappie and a largemouth bass casting paddle tails on 1/8 ounce jig heads and trolled back to the launch and caught a pike on a crank bait and a tiny sunfish on a jig head with a white grub. The pike on a crank bait was a struggle getting unhooked and out of the net... but all together, I'm feeling way better about this new boat.

I appreciate your advice, Mark. You had it pretty much nailed, I just had to figure out where and how much to tighten it to get it working right. I posted in the hobie support forums, and is as often the case on snagged line, I got better help/advice here. Thanks.
            Ocean Trident Ultra 4.3

Comment

Good to hear.

You'll enjoy your Revo.

It's a great boat.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment