VHF Channel Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHF Channel Recommendation

I have been looking forward to using my new VHF radio, although now this weekend the weather and wind may spoil my fun. That being said, is there a best or preferred channel to be on when on the water? I have read a number of members reference being on Channel 68. Is that a common channel to be on? I am sure this will make more sense after some use and experience. Thank you

I have always used channel 68 for communication with fishing buddies while on the water. On weekends in busy boating areas, there will be a lot of other chatter there.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Rob,

This chart will help you:

https://www.boatsafe.com/us-vhf-mari...s-frequencies/

Generally, channels 68, 69 and 71 are reserved for non-commercial talk.

I was with a group last weekend and they chose to use 69.

I believe most handheld units will allow you to lock onto a channel. If your radio does that, I'd advise you to use the function when your group agrees on a channel. Otherwise your radio may inadvertently slip off the chosen channel and you will miss the conversations you really need to hear.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
      X